[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ⲔⲰⲚⲤⲦⲀⲚⲦⲒⲚⲞⲨ́ⲠⲞⲖⲎ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: kmb1d.png (298KB, 1599x904px) Image search: [Google]
kmb1d.png
298KB, 1599x904px
Compared to Rome, was Constantine that great of a city?

Other than the Hippodrome and the Hagia Sophia there's not much...
>>
>>3104150
During the medieval ages it definitely had a larger population and it did have a more advantageous position for commerce.
>>
File: 023546.jpg (185KB, 1000x634px) Image search: [Google]
023546.jpg
185KB, 1000x634px
>>3104150
Cause it was all fucking destroyed by It*lians and T*rks
>>
It was a shithole by 1453 and then was revitalized after.
>>
>>3104150
It was far easier to defend, that's for sure.
>>
>>3104150
>Other than the Hippodrome and the Hagia Sophia there's not much...

Not much surviving. At its apex Constantinople was far greater than Rome itself had ever been.
>>
It was always fucking bothered me how did the Crusaders capture a city with 500.000 inhabitants.
Didn't any of the male population care to help the small garisson force defend?
I know the emperors were incompetent as fuck after the komnenoi but this makes no sense.
>>
>>3106044
false.
>>
>>3106044
There is plenty surviving in Constantinople. Much of it was re-purposed but its still there.
>>3107785
A real limiting factor is arms and armor. Not enough supplies means no way to arm citizenry.
>>
>>3107830
>the capital didnt have surplus of weapons and armor
this is sad
>>
>>3107834
I mean, at the same time though think of how much gear you would need
Thousands of weapons and armor pieces cant be procured at the drop of a hat.
Iirc the knights of Malta had to do quite a bit of improvising at their Ottoman siege and they were pretty heavily militarized.
>>
>>3107785
>Didn't any of the male population care to help the small garisson force defend?
Honestly, why would they? The conflict was basically a dynastic spat, a civil war between a besieged usurper and a besieging dethroned emperor.
The common man doesn't care about that shit.
>but muh sack
The sack happened weeks after the city was taken. It happened because some dumbass rioting mass led by even dumber rebelling nobles thought it wise to murder the reinstated emperor while the crusaders had the city under their complete control, leading to a complete breach of relations with the franks who promptly chimped out, much to the chagrin of the venetians.
>>
>>3104168
>Forgetting the Fr*nch
>>
>>3104150
>Compared to Rome, was Constantine that great of a city?

i thought constantine was a series of people
>>
>>3104150
>a river that goes underground for 2000 meters
>walls that were still almost impossible to breach 1000 years after they were built
>cisterns providing water in the event of a siege
>enough farmable land inside the walls to provide food
>A huge fucking chain blocking the Golden Horn
>Bathhouses
>aqueduct that remained in use well into the 19th century
>harbor which could be closed to protect the ships inside

I don't know op was it a great city or not. One of our rulers Simeon I the Great tried to take after pretty much raping and conquering everything in his sight and all he could was wait infront of the walls until he died of a heart attack.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.