[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /his/ think colonialism was a net positive or negative?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (277KB, 1271x845px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
277KB, 1271x845px
Try to stay objective.
>>
Positive for Europeans, negative for everyone else
>>
>>3096757
It depends, British colonialism worked out fine for the Dominions (bar the eternal whipping boy that was India under the empire), for everybody else? Pretty terribly.
>>
>>3096757
Positive for East Asia, Indians and the middle east

Negative for the Natives of the Americas, Sub saharan Africa and Europe
>>
Q: how would Africa look today if it were still colonized?
A: pretty decent, definitely much more functional
>>
File: DAEsAIvUwAAF-OY.jpg (60KB, 960x611px) Image search: [Google]
DAEsAIvUwAAF-OY.jpg
60KB, 960x611px
>europe
>in south america
>>
>>3096815
french guiana is by and large a non-colonial part of france
>>
>>3096815
literally a province of France
>>
How many years of development did colonialism put those colonized behind?
>>
>>3096757
Net positive.
>>
>>3097087
Anywhere from several centuries negative to several centuries positive depending on who and where.

Your best shot is to be somewhere rich and have Britain as the occupying country.
>>
Short term = negative, basically destroyed most social orders and traditions. For autists so obsessed with "culture" and "the old ways" you certainly find a lot of ways to justify its destruction in this topic

Long term = Probably going to be positive once the social order gets repaired (it will probably take centuries with some already repaired) since the world will be more open and connected in the end.
>>
>>3096757
Positive. The desease holocaust of North America was inevitable well before Europeans ever had any ideas about going overseas, the vast majority of colonized places were even more brutal to each other than their European masters, and most colonies today are doing better than uncolonized lands.

I'm not /pol/ tier and denying some terrible, awful shit went down. But I will say that for the most part that shit was already going down and new Europeans in in charge just failed to change or or exacerbated it but didn't really invent it while at the same time building a lot. It wasn't a fair exchange, but it was typically a better exchange than the current path in the long run.

The era of hating on colonialism is basically just overflow from the racist era of thinking that white people are somehow supposed to be "above" every other historical example ever for every other group of people on the planet.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.