[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /his/, I have a question for you, and I apologize in advance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Hi /his/, I have a question for you, and I apologize in advance if it's stupid. I was wondering how in old ships they managed to stay warm? Like, if you were in a battleship and were in the Northern Atlantic, how did they manage to keep themselves warm at night. I assumed the crew mainly slept in hammocks or make-shift sleeping areas below deck, and maybe they could close portholes to stop heat from escaping, but unless they had large blankets, I assume they couldn't have fire aboard a wooden ship? Can anyone explain?
>>
>>3091016
welll they did actually have fireplaces on wooden ships, bizarre as it may sound, you gotta cook the food somehow, and yeah basically lots of warm cothes and blankets
>>
File: 7764651092_93029eebf5_b.jpg (333KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
7764651092_93029eebf5_b.jpg
333KB, 1024x685px
The actual stove on HMS Victory
>>
>>3091022
>>3092004

What they said. Besides, wood is a really good insulator.
>>
>>3091022
That's interesting I always though fire hazards were one of the biggest concerns of wooden ships. But I guess if your crew needs a fire to not freeze to death there's no going around it. Are there any events where one caused a ship to burn down. I can't believe there hasn't been some point in were someone drunk on rum mismanaged the fireplace.
>>
>>3092120
Has it occured to you wooden houses also have fireplaces?

And are not surrounded by water that can be used for extinguishing purposes?
>>
>>3092134
Oh yes I have one in mine actually. The difference is that a house that burns you can get out of if you have time. If your ship burns in the middle of the atlantic you're fucked.
>>
>>3092157
True enough.

Then again, you're similarly fucked if your isolated homestead catches fire in a Northern winter, eh?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.