[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it autism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: austro-hungarianempire-1914map.jpg (347KB, 1000x778px) Image search: [Google]
austro-hungarianempire-1914map.jpg
347KB, 1000x778px
Was it autism?
>>
they could have become the European version of the united states but monarchies arnt exactly known for willingly changing with the times
>>
>>3090873
Especially when the main guy pushing for that gets offed.
>>
>>3090873
>"it's pretty clear we're gonna need to make some compromises, let's make a dualist structure with the hungarians"
>"alright nice, now let's try putting the czechs on the same level as them"
>budapest: REEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT MAKES US LESS SPECIAL
>"uh well alright let's try other minorities?"
>RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE
>"let's try funding the army so it isn't pitifully small or hopelessly obsolete in terms of artillery, the world's getting pretty dangerous"
>RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEE YOU'LL JUST USE IT TO CRUSH OUR POWER IN A CIVIL WAR

a handful of highly influential autists in budapest killed austria-hungary, literally everyone else in the empire (even the otherwise reactionary-as-fuck Franz Ferdinand) wanted to reform it.
>>
>>3090867
It was the opposite of autism, anon.
The compromises they made created peace, prosperity, and an intellectual flowering the likes of which the world has never seen. It wasn't perfect, but name me a multiethnic empire that did better with such limited resources (barely a great power).
>>
File: habsburg-empire.jpg (40KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
habsburg-empire.jpg
40KB, 329x499px
As a sign of changing times, the Habsburg Empire is getting strange new respect from left-wing historians as a multi-ethnic, multicultural state, a precursor to the European Union.

Pic related. The whole book is "nationalism is fag and wrong and everyone loved the Empire".
>>
>>3090873
I don't really see it, but I do see the parallels of the multi-ethnicity with both Empires.
But the Americans got the white ethnics Americanized after WWII, and you can't really Austrian-ize the people of the Austrian Empire because of how strong nationalism was.

>>3091060
This. The Hungarians wouldn't allow the Crown of Hungary to be divided up.

>>3091072
It's kind of weird how Nationalism emerged from the left-wing and eventually moved to the right.
>>
>>3091069
PRC
>>
>>3091119
It's a (very large) nation state and hasn't yet produced much of intellectual interest.
>>
>>3091060
Pretty much this.

Hungarians were being autistic and didn't want Czechs to be equal to them even thought Bohemia was industrial hearth of the empire.
If it wasn't for Hungarian autism, then reformation or even federalization of empire would have been possible.
>>
>>3091069
ottoman empire
>>
File: I wonder.png (335KB, 776x600px) Image search: [Google]
I wonder.png
335KB, 776x600px
>>3090867
Something about that country shape intrigues me
>>
>>3091389
It's like an accident. It's horrible, but you have to keep looking at it.
>>
>>3091060
Why didn't the Austrians just go full hog and Federalize from the start, if that was their intention?
>>
>>3091060
Giving the eternal magyar equality was a mistake.
>>
>>3091072
>nationalism is wrong
Which is funny because the whole point of Austro-Hungary was to appease Hungarian nationalism so they wouldn't start another war. They received a level of autonomy and influence within the Empire other nations couldn't even dream of.

Another thing is that while the Empire was "multicultural" in the sense that it had many cultural groups within its borders, they were certainly not equal. There was a hierarchy, whit German speakers being the most powerful, followed by Hungarians which were independent in internal matters, then by Poles and Czech that still had a some rights and influence.
Ukrainians, Romanians, Slovaks, Serbs were at the very bottom with little-to-no political power, no regional autonomy and no influence.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.