[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the basis for morality ever be logical?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1497214377585.jpg (83KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497214377585.jpg
83KB, 850x400px
It seems that all systems break down to some principle or value that is just assumed to be correct.
>>
>>3087775
No
>>
File: hume.jpg (22KB, 250x341px) Image search: [Google]
hume.jpg
22KB, 250x341px
>>3088010

fpbp
>>
Sorry I am not very intelligent but isn't having the basis of morality be God logical?
Since God is omnibenevolent, timeless and omniscient, wouldn't the basis of morality be concrete/not just assumed to be correct?
>>
>>3088018
Devine command theory deosnt explain why doing something is good, it just says God commanded it.

So either its good simply because God says so, or God says to do it because it is good but that does not explain why its good.
>>
Yes, you're just overthinking it
t. Sam Harris
>>
>>3087775

The ironic thing about that picture is that death by burning was the default punishment for women in England up until the 19th century.

>The fuel being placed round her, and lighted with a torch, she begg’d for the sake of Jesus, to be strangled first: whereupon the Executioner drew tight the halter, but the flame coming to his hand in the space of a second, he let it go, when she gave three dreadful shrieks; but the flames taking her on all sides, she was heard no more; and the Executioner throwing a piece of timber into the Fire, it broke her skull, when her brains came plentifully out; and in about an hour more she was entirely reduced to ashes.
>>
>>3088025
Yes
>>3088018
And on top of that it requires a lot of assumptions to get to the point where you have a benevolent god commanding you to do things
>>
>>3088033
I mean I am ok with the answer being no and saying its better to not think about it, but yes and not think about it is just awful.
>>
>>3087775
>Can the basis for morality ever be logical?

NO; ETHICOMORALITY IS SUPRALOGICAL; LOGIC IS SUBORDINATE TO ETHICOMORALITY.
>>
>>3088058
You just don't understand Scientific Ethics
>>
>>3087775

I was listening to NPR once and they were talking to some anthropologist or naturalist-science-guy or something. They opened it up to Q&A with the audience, and a typical leftist put some silly question about "how do we respect all cultures" or something along those lines. Since it was an NPR program, I was expecting the question not to be really criticized.

To my very pleasant surprise, the science-guy stated in no uncertain terms: "Well, to be perfectly clear, there exist cultural practices that do not deserve respect, and which do not deserve to be able to reproduce themselves. For example, there is a tribe in (New Guinea?) which has the custom that when a married man dies, his wife must also be killed. Now, I hope that you can agree that that is a cultural practice which is undeserving of respect, and does not deserve to be able to reproduce itself. Further, it's pretty clear on its face that there are other, better cultural practices."

It kinda shut everybody up and even the presenter didn't really know what to do with that. Was based. Anyway the point is that I really like that quote and it reminded me of all that.
>>
>>3088043
The great thing about barbaric practices in Europe is that they stopped all on their own. Every other culture had to be forced to stop.
>>
>>3088123
No I dont is there any simple way to explain it
>>
>>3088131
I do agree the argument that all culture should be preserved means that nothing can change
>>
>>3087775
It can be in the sense that the basis for morality is god and god is logical.
>>
>>3090748
Explain how god is logical
>>
>>3090769
God is the infinite basis of existence, and so our finite universe is preceded by god.
If our world is fundamentally logical then this attribute can only come from god.
>>
>>3090815
What god was not an infinite being but s finite being in another universe
>>
>>3090889
That just doesn't fit the role of god. God can only be infinite.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.