[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Joseph_Joffre.jpg (19KB, 231x307px) Image search: [Google]
Joseph_Joffre.jpg
19KB, 231x307px
Bad history sucks.

The myth that the French, should've (1) extended the Maginot Line to the Channel Coast or (2) used combined arms warfare, would have held in 1940 is bad history.

Myth number (1) France was using outdated tactics:

The French knew all about armoured warfare, their doctrine from the period, "Methodical Battle" it is combined arms. The theories proposed by Guderian etc. were examined thoroughly by the French, and German doctrine was examined in depth. Many French observers further saw the German use of coordinated infantry, artillery, tanks, aircraft and paratroopers in the breakthrough phase of the modern battle as so doctrinally similar to 'Methodical Battle' that they "would have passed muster at the Ecole Superieure de Guerre".

Looking at the French Army's DLM / DCR divisions, these are equivalent of the German Panzer Corps. In Gembloux, Belgium, The French conducted a classic combined arms manoeuvre warfare advance into Belgium. They fought the Germans to a draw here.

Myth number (2): the Germans just went around the Maginot Line:

(A) the terrain on the Franco-Belgian border was completely unsuited to defence and is largely open fields intersected by rivers making it difficult to fortify.

(B) The main industrial and population centres of France are in the northeast of the country. The French needed to move the battle into Belgium if they were to have any chance in holding until their allies could come to their aid, Germany had more population and industry.

(C) The French command was fully aware that any "line", attacked with enough strength, could be breached. Gamelin wrote “from 1915… whenever the necessary means were employed, one always broke a front.”

(D) Defending the border would be a longer front to defend than moving into Belgium. France was at a disadvantage in terms of manpower compared to the Germans. Besides a shorter front, the French needed the extra 22 divisions of the Belgian Army.

Not French, I am Australian.
>>
>>3083207

I believe the Germans broke the the Maginot anyways.

That said, if I was the French leader I would have supported the Czecks with Sudentanland.

Of course, if I was made leader after that I would have just thrown the Poles under the Bus. Or maybe actually do the Saar offensive.
>>
File: 1498902083590.jpg (54KB, 600x619px) Image search: [Google]
1498902083590.jpg
54KB, 600x619px
>Mythical horse riding supermen Aryans brought the Vedas in India
>>
>>3083915
I have a few (((Aryan))) friends who would disagree.
>>
>>3083224
They did not break through Maginot. It fell when it was surrounded. They may have taken some pillboxes but that was it. It held the Line until the fall of France.
>>
>>3084363
What about that fort that got wiped when some gunners pissbolted leaving fire doors open and everyone died from asphyxiation
>>
>>3083915
The Aryan invasion of India is beyond dispute. I'm less clear on the origins of the Vedas.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.