[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what is the difference between a cult and a religion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

So what is the difference between a cult and a religion?
>>
>>3079448
Popularity
>>
>>3079448
Okay this one sold me on this meme.
>>
>>3079448
Abuse and control of its members.
>>
>>3079448
acceptance in society
>>
Time
>>
It has to do with it's approach to outsiders and people leaving the religion.

A religion is not hostile to non-members and is does not present threats to those that want to leave. A cult is.

So different branches of Christianity could be considered cults.
>>
post your favourite cults

>the children of god / family international
>aum shinrikyo /aleph
>>
Cults tend to be insular and hostile to mainstream society, they target the mentally ill and try to drag them deeper into extremism.

Religions are generally open and target normal people.
>>
>>3079448
Structure. A cult is a religion based around the veneration of a living leader

If the leader dies and has no successor that is treated in the same or similar way to the original leader, its no longer a cult and becomes a standard religion

Most religions start of as cults
>>
>>3079448
A cult is a social group with a certain ideology or belief, it most likely is organized and has its leaders with some being religious and others not and having varying degrees of demanding absolute closeness ie varying from having all members living together in one area and being brainwashed to being regular people with minimal devotion to the groups cause. All groups today would fall into the definition of a "cult" with the sinister ones which gather people to live around in one area and brainwashing them and committing mass murder/suicide carrying the stigma and actually being branded as cults. Militant Atheists often meme modern religions as cults to advance their ideology and cult on social media.
>>
>>3079508
So Islam is a cult?
>>
File: aspergers.jpg (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aspergers.jpg
163KB, 1920x1080px
>>3079448
religions are large enough to contain cults
>>
The divide is a protestant meme. They are one and the same. Atheists cannot understand this because they are functionally nonexistent.

Nice reddit image.
>>
>>3079536
>the children of god / family international

What have they done?
>>
>>3079448
Size
>>
>>3079448
religions are the tame sellout versions
>>
>>3079571
Yes.
>>
>>3079590

they made a really good music video
>>
>>3079448
This is the most Californian thing I have ever seen.
>>
One hundred years.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.