[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>beware of wisdom you didn't earn What did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

>beware of wisdom you didn't earn

What did he mean by this?
>>
Book smarts are one thing but if it ain't tried and tested by personal experience it might be bullshit
>>
>>3078184
If you do not fully understand all the implications of what you learn, be wary of claiming it as knowledge or wisdom.

Wisdom comes from experience.
>>
>>3078184
It means that popular theories can be wrong and inexperience means you can't tell fact from fiction.
>>
>>3078184
People lie on the internet
>>
>>3078184
Fucking Pseud
>>
>>3078184
You should try to understand things holistically, with context. This is why all the new age shit that tries to reference quantum physics is so inane and misguided for example. They're laypeople with no background in the subject who are trying to make sense of it while ignoring the actual hard mathematics it's built on and as a consequence they completely misinterpret everything about it. Or for another example you have the non-programmers who copy and paste code they find from the internet and maybe get something to compile successfully but don't understand how any of it works which makes it so that it starts doing something totally different from what they're expecting when they try to apply it to a new situation.
>>
>>3078184
It is kind of like e=mc^2, everyone knows it, but most people don't have a fully fleshed out understanding of general and special relativity. You wouldn't try to build a nuclear reactor based on that knowledge alone.

It is the same with other things, for example medicine. If you have an illness and you hear somewhere colloidal silver is a cure for AIDS because it was used as an antibiotic before penicillin, you should take that with a pinch of salt. AIDS is caused by a virus and antibiotics primarily affect bacteria, you should take the time to study, learn, as experts who are better than you and develop a good bullshit detector before delving into that.
>>
>>3078184
Basically don't do drugs until you've got your shit sorted
>>
epistemology
>>
>>3078184
I don't know what he meant by that but you really should also learn context with everything that you learn.

if you don't also know the circumstance that led to the discovery of some wisdom you'll be pretty far from being able to use it right.
>>
>>3078191
but things that you have tried and tested by personal experience might also be bullshit due to you being imperfect
>>
>>3078184
What's the context?

I know a great deal of Jung, probably more than any of the other guys in this thread, and I wouldn't say I could give you an answer without context.
>>
>>3078184
He is basically talking about all of you posting here. If you are no at least ashamed of being in possession of wisdom you took from wise people, you are nothing but a thief.
>>
>>3078184
I was watching a Jordan Peterson lecture and he dropped this quote in reference to psychedelic drugs
>>
>>3078184
sounds like he means you need factual experience
>>
>>3078184
gaining the prize without training and partaking in the contest.

you basically undo the meaning and it will turn against you.
>>
>>3078184
>>3078191
>>3078194
>>3078197
>>3078544
>>3078573
>>3078599
>>3078619
>>3078621
>>3078638
>>3078675
>>3078682
>>3078814
>>3080137
>>3080767
>>3080782
>>3080783

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WISDOM IS. WISDOM IS GNOSIS THAT ONLY ENLIGHTENED BEINGS CAN CONVERT TO MEXICAN SUFISM CAN EVER HOPE TO ACHIEVE.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.