[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So wait, the guys who built this...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: anasazi.jpg (37KB, 550x363px) Image search: [Google]
anasazi.jpg
37KB, 550x363px
Turned into "OOOOOOOOOOOO, OOOOOOOOO, OOOOOOOO!!!" screaming savages?
>>
>>3075859

Smallpox killed a huge swath of the population. Up to 80+% in some areas. Then there were repeat outbreaks of pox and bubonic plague to which they had little immunity.

So that totally disrupted the agriculturalists. Then Euros begin pushing tribes off the east coast, leading to migration and more disease. Trade has horses coming to the plains and desert long before many Euros arrive. Horses make nomadic raiders even more dangerous.

So by the time Euros get there, it's been centuries of disruption with an outbreak twice as fatal as the Black Death kicking it off.
>>
>>3075859
>Not Aztec
Boring
>>
>>3075859
>>3075913

Fun fact; Bubonic Plague still exists in the 4 corners regions of New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado.

Poor bastards got wiped out by Plague.
>>
>>3075913
I specifically remember hearing the Anasazi migration was pre-columbian
>>
File: Olmec retarded baby.jpg (43KB, 610x495px) Image search: [Google]
Olmec retarded baby.jpg
43KB, 610x495px
>>3075929
>implying
>>
>>3075953

Could be. I was talking about larger agricultural communities more broadly.

If it's anything like other desert areas, Mesopotamia or Egypt, a change in climate or rivers' paths can lead to cities being abandoned.
>>
>>3075966
>a change in climate or rivers' paths can lead to cities being abandoned.
This is what happened. There was a massive drought in the four corners region and people moved to places with more steady access to water. To answer OP's question, no, they didn't turn into "savages;" most of them ended up settling around the Rio Grande in northern New Mexico. Whey the Spanish encountered them, they were still farming and living in pueblos.

If he was asking about places outside of the southwest, the same applies to most of North America, too. Disease did devastate populations, but most people were living in densely populated villages and practicing agriculture. THe only places where this wasn't as common were the Great Basin and Great Plains (the people in the PNW didn't farm, but they still lived in big villages and were sedentary). It's kind of weird that so many people have that impression when even popular narratives of contact with groups like the Wampanoag, Powhatan, and Mesoamerican groups describe agriculturalists living in settled villages.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.