[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people believe in supernatural phenomena?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1126.jpg (17KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1126.jpg
17KB, 250x241px
Why do people believe in supernatural phenomena?
>>
File: stalin (2).jpg (74KB, 648x487px) Image search: [Google]
stalin (2).jpg
74KB, 648x487px
>>3074580
Because they can't understand said phenomena as natural.

Having said that, send all creationists and anti-vaxxers to the gulag.
>>
Must be witchcraft or alien influence.
>>
>>3074580
occam razor
>>
>>3074580
When you run out of answers you gotta make shit up.

This is why we have Hypothesis and Theories.
>>
>>3074580
Because modern individuals exist inside a universe which is inherently incomprehensible and mysterious on an island which they decided to call Psychology and the island's borders are made out of Logic, and sometimes when the tides are high the Island is washed over with profound incomprehensibility and to describe that phenomena modern humans are left with not much but the word supernatural.
>>
Like religion?
>>
Compulsory education doesn't usually teach critical thinking, so most people have no idea how to tell of a claim is bullshit or not.
>>
>>3074620
Stop trying to be pretentious. You're not good at it.

>>3074580
To some extent, supernatural phenomena were not totally distinguished from natural phenomena in the past. Look at beliefs about disease before germ theory, for example. People wanted answers they just didn't really have.

Other than this, there is an obvious emotional component, which is why I think it persists today. Urban legends are pretty much modern mythology, /x/fags and similar groups feel it makes the world more interesting and gives them 2spooky """""knowledge""""" that the plebs supposedly lack.
Belief in things like God and the afterlife inspire some people to cope with suffering, I can see obvious benefits in teachings like karma toward moral behavior, or Valhalla-esque beliefs in a militaristic culture.
Superstitions may also contain primitive hygienic and pragmatic elements. The causality of something is identified, just overly mysticized. Consider "not opening an umbrella inside" or Jewish beliefs about corpse disposal, for example.
People also like feeling correct, and believing in God can convince them their feelings about a particular moral issue are absolute and unquestionable.
>>
>>3074580
Because a good portion of it is real. The world exists on multiple planes and frequencies which allows all sorts of bizzare things.

http://thesearchforthezone.com/
>>
>>3074660
>frequencies

Go give Deepak Chopra a blowjob you retarded quack.
>>
>>3074580
The biggest redpill is realizing that there is no supernatural. Spirits, sorcery, lucid dreaming and shapeshifting are indeed real but they not part of some other realm or seperate from the 'natural' realm. It is all part of the same reality and nature.
>>
File: 155943.jpg (74KB, 525x792px) Image search: [Google]
155943.jpg
74KB, 525x792px
>>3074580
Wow you must be so enlightened
>>
>>3074698
You're a meme
>>
>>3074678
>The biggest redpill is realizing that there is no supernatural. Spirits, sorcery, lucid dreaming and shapeshifting are indeed real

You put lucid dreaming in the same category as shapeshifting and sorcery? Jesus Christ. Wishful thinking has made you retarded.
>>
File: IMG_0109.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0109.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>3074620
This just might be the most retarded attempt to sound smart I've ever seen.
>>
>>3074620
Whoa. That's soooo deep. You should write for Rick & Morty or something.
>>
>>3074678
>>3074620
>>3074792
Well nevermind, this guy takes the cake.
>>
>>3074580
I believe supernatural phenomena, at least those that are not outright fraud, are basically malfunctions and quirks of the human mind. our brains were created though haphazard evolution, and contain many small quirks and flaws.

Aside from mental illnesses, its rather easy for the human mind to lapse into hallucination. Sensory derivation, various chemicals, extreme stress,being half-asleep, meditation and prayer, and even suggestion call call trigger people to see and experience things that are not there, there is even evidence this can effect groups on some level.

So while I hold out the possibility there could be something more I think its more likely are brains create things that are not there.
>>
>>3074651
It is but a metaphor to describe that which true, like anything else in the world

>>3074792
It is in my belief that it is after all indeed you, who appears retarded.

>>3074799
Thanks maybe one day I will
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.