[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ransom of King John II

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Okay, so during the 100 years war, King John II of France gets captured in battle, and the English set the ransom at 1 gorillion dollars. John II convinces the English to let him switch places with his son, Louis, so that he can personally raise the required sum for the ransom from his subjects. The English agree and Louis and John II switch places. While raising money, Prince Louis escapes from the English and returns to France

Then, John II, baffling literally everyone, decides to voluntarily surrender himself back into English captivity, where he remains until he dies a few months later.
Can someone explain this extreme case of stupidity? Was chivalry to blame?
>>
>>3073365
Because if no one was in the prison cell when the English went to check then they would get caught.
>>
>>3073365
He gave his word in good faith. He took the respectable action to make amends. It's not like he was imprisoned under harsh conditions; he was more of an honored guest that couldn't return home. The fact that he died was an unexpected outcome.
>>
>>3073365
I don't see stupidity in a man probably trying to escape his wife. Pretty sure he must have found some new pussy to slay in England.
>>
File: ellis_crecy_6.jpg (257KB, 750x1176px) Image search: [Google]
ellis_crecy_6.jpg
257KB, 750x1176px
>>3073365
It was probably out of fear, considering how the English had anally annihilated the French at Crécy and Poitiers (where John was captured).
>>
In Medieval, and premodern times in general, times, Hostages were very important.
Her gave him back to preserve the trust in the hostage system. If you let an escaped hostage stay escaped, the next time they capture you, or someone else important, they might be inclined to execute them immediately.
>>
>>3073791
>Pretty sure he must have found some new boipussy to slay in England.
Fixed. Reminder, he is a French monarch.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.