[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How were berbers viewed in the Roman Empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: berbers.jpg (142KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
berbers.jpg
142KB, 750x499px
>>
a tribe in an inhospitable area to trade with
>>
>>3069827
Are the they related someway to Hannibal?
>>
>How were X viewed in the Roman Empire?
decadent/barbarous foreigners to exploit
>>
>>3069875
>in roman empire
>foreigners
really make me thonks
>>
>>3069879
thanks for revealing how little you understand of roman society
>>
doesn´t the word barbarian comes from berber?
>>
>>3069875
How would they exploit them? The Romans can't send legions into the desert looking for nomads. All they can do is control trade bottlenecks and wait until the tribes decide to stop trying to hold out for better deals and negotiate to get trade flowing again.
>>
>>3069864
Hannibal was part berber.
>>
>>3069900
I think barbarian comes from a Greek word for outsider of something
>>
>>3069900
>>3069957
It's an onomatopoeia for babbling
>>
>>3069900
It comes from the word barbaros, because the Greeks thought foreigners sounded like dogs when they talked.
>>
File: 1498737588320.png (34KB, 683x517px) Image search: [Google]
1498737588320.png
34KB, 683x517px
>>3069827
Some roman emperors were berbers or part berbers such as Severus, Caracalla, and Macrinus.

The numidian cavalry was integrated in the rome army, and before that they were the one who did all the killing in Hannibal's army.
Also they basically granted victory to Scipio Africanus when they sided with Rome.
>>
>>3069834
>>3069875
Go read a book brainlets, or at least a wikipedia article.
>>
>>3069827
The same as most others. By the late Republican period of the Roman Empire, most non-Latins/non-Italics were integrated as second-class citizens who generally had almost the same amount of representation, rights, and benefits as Romans/Latins/Italics themselves did.

I imagine at least fellow Mediterranean dwelling peoples like the Berbers, Iberians, Celtics, Greeks, were generally tolerated fine.
>>
>>3069864
Ummm sorry sweetie, Hannibal was African-American
>>
File: 1499729027977s.jpg (2KB, 125x100px) Image search: [Google]
1499729027977s.jpg
2KB, 125x100px
>>3070015
>>3069834
>>3069875
>who is Massinissa
>who is Macrinus
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.