[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Modern Languages Flawed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (102KB, 600x311px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
102KB, 600x311px
Here me out: all modern languages developed organically, with essentially arbitrary sounds to represent everything and various grammar rules that caught on. Could our whole concept of what a language should be like wrong and inefficient, just because it's worked up to this point?

Would it be beneficial at some point in our evolution to completely redesign language so it allows for greater clarity, compression, and flexibility?
>>
No, because the needs of language is constantly changing, and is actually diverse.
>>
>>3069143
>Would it be beneficial at some point in our evolution to completely redesign language so it allows for greater clarity, compression, and flexibility?
You could try to force a new generation to speak an artificial language, but it would inevitably be subject to the same forces that cause natural languages to evolve. Pronunciations would shift, new words would emerge, and grammatical rules would change until it becomes as messy and inconsistent as any natural language.
>>
>what is Esperanto

That worked out well didn't it
>>
File: file.png (16KB, 399x129px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
16KB, 399x129px
>>3069209
>Pronunciations would shift, new words would emerge, and grammatical rules would change until it becomes as messy and inconsistent as any natural language.
Probably, but my line of thinking is that different computer languages have their strengths and weaknesses, and designing a new language could create shortcuts that aren't easily expressed in old ones.

We spend most if not all of our lives trying to become more articulate and better at avoiding miscommunication. Is there any purpose for the etymology of human anatomy terms to be so arcane and difficult to remember (in english)?

I feel as though we are running on legacy software that is bottlenecking communication, but the costs of switching are still too high.
>>
>>3069143
All languages are inherently flawed. You can't know if the person you are speaking with is objectively understanding what you are attempting to say. All language is broken because our experience is essentially broken, we cannot communicate with objective meaning.

Tyranny of words by Stuart Chase
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_semantics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Korzybski
Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics by Alfred Korzybski

All required reading to begin to communicate effectively, or at least become aware of the problems. Stuart Chase attempts to prove how huge world problem can arise due to the fact we do not communicate properly.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.