[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ballet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

Let's talk ballet.

What are your favorite ballets to watch? Why?

What are some things you like and dislike about the evolution of ballet from the 19th century onward? What about the evolution of particular ballets you enjoy?

Is there anything common in historical ballet that you wish was still present in modern productions?
>>
>ballet

But anon, ballet is for girls
>>
File: Ballet_de_la_nuit_1653.jpg (138KB, 750x1157px) Image search: [Google]
Ballet_de_la_nuit_1653.jpg
138KB, 750x1157px
>>3065406
Ballet was initially developed by men. And almost all popular/successful ballet choreographers are men.
>>
Why dance like homos on your tippy-toes?
>>
>>3065397
Nutcracker for me. The songs are catchy especially the arabian one.

>tfw dated a ballerina in high school.
>>
>What are your favorite ballets to watch? Why?

Giselle, Swan Lake, and The Sleeping Beauty. Cliche I know. I'm dying to see The Red Shoes when it comes to City Center soon. I try to see The Nutcracker every year as a Christmas tradition. I also enjoy more modern fare like Mayerling (finally get to see it live this year) and Macmillan's Anastasia (the ROH production can't come to DVD soon enough) just to name two.

>What are some things you like and dislike about the evolution of ballet from the 19th century onward? What about the evolution of particular ballets you enjoy?

I love pointe work so goddamn much, I'm glad it became such a mainstay and the evolution of shoes allowed for the extensive, if painful, pointe we see today. I don't like how mime is almost eliminated from many modern ballet productions, especially Russian productions--it makes many ballets incomprehensible. Also I don't mind that different companies create different endings for shows like Swan Lake, but I prefer a double tragedy rather than the Mariinsky-style happy ending. Give me a double suicide, suicide + Prince death by heartbreak, prince drowning and Odette forever being a swan over Siegfried vanquishing Rothbart and living happily ever after with human Odette any day.

>Is there anything common in historical ballet that you wish was still present in modern productions?

Mime, basically. The reduction of mime is related to the reduction of story, even in classic ballet, which I think is a shame. I prefer companies who tell a story through dance, not companies who use dance solely as a means for dancers to get applause and endless encores.

And I'll just say it: the American Ballet Theatre company is a shitshow that deserves to be gutted for the bullshit that they've let the director pull in the last 5 years.
>>
this >>3065416
difficult to imagine women dancing to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmNAvgQ9ZjY
>>
>>3065406
Only uncultured insecure american guys think ballet is for girls.
>>
What's the most graceful and noble ballet to watch?
I like some of Tchaikovsky's music for ballet but never actually watched any of it since it makes me feel uncomfortable.
>>
>>3065491
Although it was, I think not quite only 30 years after the Ballet de la Nuit that that the first woman danced ballet professionally, and it was under the guidance of Lully that she was able to do so.

I wish that some risk-taking company would try to reproduce 17th century and 18th century ballets, even though they are a far cry from what people would expect from ballet today. Even just as a one-night only performance for posterity recording. They've done similar things at historical theaters for opera and operetta, why not ballet.
>>
>>3065546
Graceful and noble? Probably Swan Lake. Giselle has lots of elegance and grace but it also has dancers who have to act out dancing to an exhausted death or near-death, although the juxtaposition of the two is great to watch.
>>
>>3065416
Not gonna lie, that outfit looks rad as fuck.
>>
File: d7ce4ae340eae86865ef3c4a86c60de9.jpg (504KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
d7ce4ae340eae86865ef3c4a86c60de9.jpg
504KB, 768x1024px
>>3065602
here's a reproduction. shame the real thing isn't still around.
>>
>>3065663
Wut
>>
>>3065681
newest ebin /his/ meme
>>
>>3065546
I love Sleeping Beauty, although the wedding scene may be a detractor for you because it does get silly--Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, and the cats in particular. But other than that I'd say it's noble, especially if it's being played heavier towards the story elements. The recent Ratmansky production is the epitome of elegance if you can catch it.

Although it's always hilarious to me that the cat music is what was used in Disney's Sleeping Beauty during the creepy scene where Maleficent summons Aurora to the spinning wheel. Audiences always seem to recognize it too.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.