[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Criticize my philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0295.jpg (55KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0295.jpg
55KB, 640x448px
Understanding depends on values like reason and evidence.

* Understanding is comprehension of information using concepts and relations.
* Reason is logical and structured information processing
* Evidence is information gathered by observation.

Understanding is a value itself, and understanding is also the aim of other values such as reason and evidence.

Reason and evidence underlie the process of understanding in domains ranging from science to spirituality.

Consequently, there is a unity of understanding so that all propositions must cohere.

Propositions that are not based on reason and evidence are excluded from this unity of understanding.

Values depend on understanding how conscious beings flourish.

* Values are propositions about how conscious beings flourish.
* Conscious beings are anything that is subjectively aware.
* Flourishing is positive states on the spectrum from suffering to well being.

Only conscious beings can experience anything, which means that only conscious beings can flourish.

Therefore, understanding how conscious beings actually and potentially flourish allows understanding of which values are right and which are wrong.

Multiple possible states of flourishing are possible, but the similarities between conscious beings can be understood, and therefore generalizations are possible.

For example, honesty, openness and compassion can be said to be generally better than confusion, tyranny and cruelty.
>>
>>3064414
not really clear how much of this is stipulation vs belief

> Criticize my philosophy
>>
>>3064414
secular trash desu
>>
evidence isn't evidence because your senses are shit
>>
>>3064414

>Understanding is a value itself
I personally agree with this, and there's a really good metaphorical explanation in The Republic (book 5/6?) as to why this is. But we're criticizing so:

why? What end does "understanding" serve that would make it a value in itself? What is a value - is it simply a pleasurable thing, a thing-of-importance outside of human perception?

Also you lack a functional definition for "understanding." This makes it hard for readers to apply a consistent definition of the term and avoid ambiguity. I've found it good practice to reread my stuff to look for "hanging words," which are just words I neglect explaining and take my internal "given" definition.

>Understanding depends on values like reason and evidence
Why? Much of human history thrived on an "understanding" of life that was based on spiritual and political authority (papal authority, god-kings, mystics, etc.). Why then would you assert understanding requires reason & evidence? Centrally it seems more that it requires willingness to cease criticizing that things could be any other way.

>Reason and evidence underlie the process of understanding
See above

>all propositions must cohere
woah there bub

>Propositions that are not based on reason and evidence are excluded from this unity of understanding
At some point you'll get into the trap of "prove the validity of rationality and evidence rationally and with evidence without circular reference" - this is a classic problem with the sort of objectivist direction you're going
>>
>>3064414
Plus:

>You: Understanding depends on values
>You: Values depend on understanding how conscious beings flourish
>Implicitly You: Understanding depends on understanding

Go into epistemology. The question "what constitutes knowledge", "how can one know they know something", etc. are at the heart of this
>>
>>3065304
Particularly need to delineate 'knowing' things and being able to articulate that knowledge, which is closely related to the ability for abstraction etc.
>>
>>3064414
>Reason and evidence underlie the process of understanding in domains ranging from science to spirituality.

Tautological/axiomatic in scientific understanding, plainly untrue in spirituality.
>>
>>3064414
I have been in that room.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.