[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Purgatory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: purgatory.jpg (208KB, 1297x1500px) Image search: [Google]
purgatory.jpg
208KB, 1297x1500px
So there's something that's been bothering me about the idea of purgatory. As I understand it, it's a place where souls go that aren't good enough to go to heaven, nor evil enough to go to hell. There, they suffer for a certain amount of time to cleanse themselves of sin, before being accepted into heaven. My question is, how is this not just downright torture? Individuals go through an intense amount of pain, until their souls are filled with the "right" kind of character, before being allowed to enter utopia. In what is this concept different than the one of repressive torture? And before you say "people aren't forced into purgatory, they choose to go there" may I remind you that the alternative involves eternal suffering and pain, so I'm pretty sure every sane man would pick torture for a while over torture for eternity.
>>
>>3062842
why do people consider Dantes Divine Comedy as some kind of doctrinal book?
Purgatory is a place where your sinful tendencies are burned out. Not literally. If you are there, you are already saved - but not enough good to go and see God. Even more - it's not God's decision, but yours. You yourself WANT to peel away that pride, greed and egoism before you can sit near your heavenly Father. That doesn't mean that you are far from Him - you KNOW that He is near you and is welcoming you into His kingdom. In some way, Purgatory can be viewed as a layer of Heaven - those there are already saved.
>>
>>3062842
>s I understand it, it's a place where souls go that aren't good enough to go to heaven, nor evil enough to go to hell
Then you understand it wrongly. Purgatory is a place where people who are already saved by Jesus' sacrifice and through faith and holy sacraments still have to face results of their sins if they didn't repent from them during their earthly life.

>how is this not just downright torture?
Facing results of your actions is a torture if you were a hencham yourself.
>>
File: KK.jpg (13KB, 443x253px) Image search: [Google]
KK.jpg
13KB, 443x253px
So there's something that's been bothering me about the idea of the Krusty Krab. As I understand it, it's a place where fish go that want to buy Krabby patties. There, they eat for a certain amount of time to relieve themselves of hunger, before driving home in their boat car. My question is, how is this not just downright crazy? How the hell can a car work underwater? how can they use ovens and fire underwater? In what is this concept different than explosions in space? And before you say "fuck off, it's a kid's cartoon you aspie" may I remind you that this is History AND Humanities?
>>
>>3062994
>How the hell can a car work underwater?
http://youtu.be/wNdFhZMoITc
>how can they use ovens and fire underwater?
http://youtu.be/6RY2TZGxliQ

Do you even try?
>>
>>3062925

Because its theology is from the apocryphal Revelation of Peter, which despite not making it into the Bible at Nicea remained every bit as popular as John's Revelation.
>>
>>3063021
that's clearly not the same,
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.