[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In Which Year Did English Become The International Language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

In which year did English become the international language? Are there lists of languages by number of users before 1991?

I am interested in knowing which languages had the most users in 1950 and 1900, but the earliest source of the list of languages by the number of users which I could find was from 1991. How did one before 1991 know that English was the international language?
>>
>>3062106
Gross number of users is an irrelevant metric considering mandaring wipes the floor with English yet it's a completely worthless language on an international level.
>>
>In Which Year Did English Become The International Language?

>>
It shifted from English to French around WW2.
>>
>>3062191
I mean from French to English of course.
>>
>>3062191
idk about that. French was irrelevant outside of Africa, Quebec and Vietnam long before that
>>
>>3062198
Nigger what, until WW2 French was the language of diplomacy and used for international matters, not to mention spoken by the vast majority of Western intellectuals.
>>
>>3062106
It was a gradual process spanning many decades, but I would say the mid-90s was the time were it became obvious for everybody, especially with the rise of the internet.
>>
>>3062210
yeah just checked and I was wrong.
>>
The statment that english is the international language isn't true. English at its most relevant point. Would most likely be at the same point that the British Empire was at its strongest. Which was at 1914 before the first world war. Along with the massive amounts of colonies that the British had. America Also had alot of influence in its own side of the globe. There for the english language was arguably the strongest language ecinomically. Also the language with the strongest military backing. With wins in 2 world wars and the economic rival of the french being desimated in the first world war. It has stayed in power since rivaled only by Russian
During the cold war. There is no interational language and the english language will never be accepted by many countries.
>>
>>3062238
>the internet is, without the slightest exaggeration, an inseparable part of our world and almost entirely in English
>English taught in the schools of every first and second world nation
>people defaulting to English whenever they go to a foreign country
>is currently communicating his retarded thoughts to someone who were it not for English, would have no way of understanding

>The statment that english is the international language isn't true
Are you naturally retarded or just a very gifted actor?
>>
You ignorant arrogance is laughable. What you see most of the time is in english. So it is the international language. Your scope of the world is closed minded and shut off. Your vocabulary and sentence structure is also weak. It is funny that you try to lecture on something, which you have such a slight grasp on.
>>
>>3062263
Also, most major scientific journals are in English, so if researchers from say China or Iran want to be relevant on the international stage and report their results they have to write in good English.
>>
>>3062284
Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.
>>
>>3062238
>No international language

You don't understand what lingua Franca is, do you?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.