[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know next to nothing about history and want to learn stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Maccari-Cicero.jpg (713KB, 1280x798px) Image search: [Google]
Maccari-Cicero.jpg
713KB, 1280x798px
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to most history, but I recently started listening to Mike Duncan's The History of Rome podcast and I'm really enjoying it. I find Roman history super fascinating, but I know it's considered to be somewhat entry level on this board.

I'm getting close to the end of the podcast now, and I'm wondering what I should learn about next. Please recommend me what are other civilizations or societies from history that are worth learning about, and if there are any good books written about them that I should check out.
>>
>>3053113
Try the history of Islam, early muslim conquest, and the golden age of Islam. They're really cool and interesting to read.
>>
>>3054788
shitskin detected

get a copy of the condensed cambridge medieval history. its two books

then get a copy of The Ware of the roses, and some books on the robber barons of america
>>
>>3053113
>it's considered to be somewhat entry level on this board.
It by no means is entry level, it is just fundamental for understanding (European) history and that's why it is taught early.

Got any preferences? History is so vast that you usually pick something that interests or fascinates you.
>>
>>3053113
Guns, Germs and Steel for early modern history
Jürgen Osterhammels Transformation of the World for the long 19th century

Anything Germany related, either Mommsen, Clark or Ian Kershaw
>>
>>3054793
Too bad i'm an asian
>>
I started with books about world history from the start right up until present day, read two or three to get a good idea of when and where different things happened, then focused on specific civilizations that caught my interest.
>>
>>3054803
Fuck off then
>>
Depends on what period you are interested in.
>>
File: 1416852542034.jpg (35KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1416852542034.jpg
35KB, 400x462px
>>3054801
>Guns, Germs and Steel for early modern history
>>
>>3054793
how does it make you feel
>>
>>3054850
>Won the Pulitzer Prize
>The germs theory is generally accepted among historians
What?
>>
>>3054801
>Guns, Germs and Steel for early modern history

Go back to /r/politics you underage libturd
>>
First off. Don't try to "learn history," that'll make your mind race everywhere. If you're interested in how humanity developed I'd consider first reading about early Semitic and Babylonian, perhaps even Neolithic cultures in the Middle East, then to Greeks and Latins, but also maintaining a focus on the middle east. If you like oriental history consider reading about China and the Indus river valley civilization.

The thing is, there are a great many periods and places in history, so you can't know everything. Pick something you like and study it, Rome has a large history so consider starting chronologically and reading about each period of the Kingdom/Republic/Empire(s) in pieces. Or if you want to know about men like Julius Caesar or Augustus, then go ahead and read late Republic/early Empire.

The best understanding of history is trying to piece together how it made our world, so look back at earlier dates and see what these men did and what made them do that.
>>
>>3054793
>Some anon posts good advice
>HAHA LMAO UR A SHITSKIN
Get out
>>
Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer is an excellent read if you're interested in Nazi Germany.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.