[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was the roman calendar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

What is the roman calendar, and what was the year tracked. Also what year would it be today base on the calendar
>>
It was based on whomever was ruling at the time, so consuls, which seems inconvenient since they only rule for a year. I don't know if they changed it for Emperors or not. Also, the Calendar was basically Solar, and assumed its Julian form under Caesar. so it's roughly equivalent to ours.

Apparently, at some point, they used the Founding of Rome, 753 a.C., as a measure, which would roughly be 2770 today.
>>
>>3052957
Roman years were measured as AUC, ab urbe condita (after the city having been made), following the foundation of Rome by Romulus, commonly placed at 753 bc. Thus, today it would be 2771 or 2770, sadly I can't remember how the inclusive counting worked and whether you move it ahead one year because of 0 AD.

The year was divided into 12 months, 30 days each, beginning with March. This is how the months september - december are named (i.e. 7th month, 8th month, etc., with February as the 12th month).

Days within the month were counted inclusively as days following the Kalends (1st), Nones (7th / 9th), or Ides (13th / 15th). The Nones and Ides moved back two days on certain months, but I can't remember off the top of my head which ones. So, for March, which had the Nones on the 9th and the Ides on the 15th, when it's the 11th you'd say it's three days after the Nones. If its the 14th, you say that it's one day before the Ides.

Might be fucking up the inclusive counting for the days, but you get the jist of it.
>>
>>3052957
This would be THE YEAR OF TRUMP. Last year would of been the 8th year of Obomo
>>
>>3053122
>trump
>not trvmp
>>
Got incredibly fucked up until Caesar went and fixed everything and made the Julian Calendar. It was due to more and more holidays being created and because there weren't enough days they just put more in, but this messed things up because suddenly the harvest holidays that were meant to be in spring or fall or whatever were now in winter. It was also partly due to politics because on certain days Senate could meet or elections could occur, and so political machinations were made that helped them in the immediate sense by adding a day here and there but really screwed them over in the long term.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.