[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how correct was he?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Just how correct was he?
>>
File: diogenes-and-alexander.jpg (450KB, 1280x1032px) Image search: [Google]
diogenes-and-alexander.jpg
450KB, 1280x1032px
>Plato
lmao
>>
>>3051638
>>3051649
It's Platon, with a fucking N at the end. Why do Anglotards spell it Plato?
>>
It's literally just auto-fellatio for the rich and powerful. Despotic oligarchs use this book to convince themselves they live in some kind of enlightened meritocracy.

This book represents the opposite of what they want you to believe that ancient Greece contributed to western culture and society. I'm convinced that anyone who defends Plato hasn't actually read this.
>>
>>3051692
>Despotic oligarchs
He specifically advocates against this though
>>
File: 1p3bjs.jpg (59KB, 624x500px) Image search: [Google]
1p3bjs.jpg
59KB, 624x500px
>>3051667
>>
File: 1438380375323.jpg (27KB, 380x250px) Image search: [Google]
1438380375323.jpg
27KB, 380x250px
>Plato travels to Sicily, to the court of Dyonisius of Syracuse hoping to make a philosopher king out of him
>Plato's yapping irritates the tyrant so much he imprisons him and sends him back to Athens as a slave

That's how correct he was.
>>
>>3051667
How they spell it is actually not the problem, it's how they pronounce it that is worse.

I've heard professors literally say "Play-doh".
>>
>>3051732
That might arguably speak more ill of the king than the philosopher
>>
>>3051718
He attacks "oligarchies" and "tyrannies" while describing a tyrannical oligarchy.

His problem wasn't with "oligarchies" it was with the fact that familial wealth, social connections and rhetorical ability ie, sophistry were the primary factors that created oligarchs as opposed to the oligarchs being chosen by a cartel of "philosophers" ie, him and his students.

Things Plato advocated for in The Republic:
>A caste system
>Abolition of the family
>State control of reproduction
>Haremization of society
>A militarized quasi police state
>Extreme state control over people's daily lives
>Planned economy whose goal is to deliberately limit prosperity
>Unelected council of philosophers to decide who holds any sort of public office
>>
>still treating the republic like it's a political treatise

Read Laws if you actually want Plato's politics
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.