[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here actually have a job/advanced degrees in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Does anyone here actually have a job/advanced degrees in the field of History? If so what do you do? What period/subject do you study? How did you get your job?

Is it a field worth investing time and money into?
>>
Protip - don't do history by itself if you want to actually be successful
>>
>>3050700
In what sense? You mean get a double major or something?
>>
>>3050691
Working on my MA in history, currently work as a TA and I want to teach high school history.

>>3050738
Not him, but yes. Pair it with something like economics, anthropology, etc.
>>
I'm a Museum Assistant

I study Irish military history mostly

I sent an application, got rejected, visited the museum in person to try and argue my case, and they ended up being surprised by my autistic dedication to history so they gave me a shot

If you live in a big city like London or New York there's always historical tourism work available, that's not even going into lecturing or teaching or anything
>>
>>3050748
>If you live in a big city like London or New York there's always historical tourism work available, that's not even going into lecturing or teaching or anything

That's true, but I imagine if you have to work in a big city like that you'll constantly be living a poverty lifestyle since the pay probably isn't very good and the rent would be expensive.
>>
At a military history museum right now just researching their collection, mostly WWI+WWII stuff.
It's only 8 weeks though
>>
>>3050691
I'm finishing my MA currently and as I'm a poor fuck can't start my phd this autumn as i didnt get funding.Spending this year applying to as many funding bodies as possible,doing a blog or podcast ,working on my fictional writing and having the first year off from education in my entire life.Excited ,but nervous. My areas are usually cultural and social. Stuff like disabled history which is in its infancy ,but really interesting,animal history and Middle Eastern history. The dream is to do be a historian with a research or lecturing post eventually after zero hour and shit stuff while also publishing my fiction.
>>
I'm fishing up an MA in archaeology, which is close. My specialty is historical archaeology, which is the archaeological study of places/times with written records. Professionally, I'm in a weird limbo because of some weird legal issues. I'm still technically working through a third party as a research assistant for the federal agency. I was writing reports for public outreach. Unfortunately, the archaeology job market is absolutely shit at the moment (the political situation in the US has created a lot of uncertainty in the field), so I've been trying to get a job overseas. I have a few offers, but am running into trouble trying to prove I can work legally. The RA job was given to my by a professor who liked my work, and the offers all came from blind applications.

>Is it a field worth investing time and money into?
It really depends on what you want to get out of it. Chances are, you're not going to work in history, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Office jobs and other things most people do just require that you have a degree, and don't care what it's in. If majoring in history is appealing enough that you can make it to a degree, then it's definitely worth it as long as you know how to market yourself. If you can't find a job with a history degree, chances are you're doing something wrong, and statistically unemployment rates for humanities in general aren't worse than most other majors.

Obviously, more intense academic work is completely different and will require a lot of schooling, and a bunch of luck, since university jobs (especially permanent ones) can be rare. But if it's something you love, it's up to you whether it's worth that or not. Archaeology is also different, because there is a specific job field tied to it. But it's also something you do out of love. It can be physically demanding, the pay is pretty awful considering the amount of education it requires, and unless you have certain talents, you'll hit a wall early on.
>>
>>3050700
You know not everyone on this board is Murican, right?
>>
Finishing my BS in History to teach.

If you don't want to teach, you really should go BA to MA. Just don't think you will get a historical job in Bumfuck, Flyoverland even with an advanced degree.
>>
I'm getting a degree in electrical engineering because I actually want to eat while studying history. It might be a mistake though. My interest in electronics is only like 50% of my interest in history.
>>
>2017
>going to college

lmaoing@your life
>>
>>3051697
I fell for the STEM meme even though I love the arts so much more. I'm done, I can't do it anymore, I'm switching to international relations.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.