[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This guy gets a lot of historical slander. What's the real story?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ibf63t3xx38z.jpg (118KB, 695x1041px) Image search: [Google]
ibf63t3xx38z.jpg
118KB, 695x1041px
This guy gets a lot of historical slander. What's the real story?
>>
>>3049926
The "ten trillion Congolese died" meme is just that: a meme.

Plenty of academic sources linked here.

http://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/07/24/mythologies-about-leopolds-congo-free-state/
>>
Noble richfag who ruled over a non-country and exploited Africans in the Congo.

What else is there? You want people to tell you his mission wasn't profit-driven so you can argue I'm favour of the Congo free state on Facebook or something? Don't want to believe whites can do wrong sometimes?
>>
File: 1488662630009.jpg (126KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
1488662630009.jpg
126KB, 800x598px
>>3049945
I think it's quite obvious to anyone with a functional brain that the ten centillion number is complete bollocks, especially in an age where no official numbers of the population were present.
Either way if this meme relies on a single source as they claim in your link, then this number becomes even more questionable
>Hochschild
hmmm....
>>
Congolese people were afraid they would lose their autonomy but his approach wasn't hands-on at all.
>>
Wanted rubber and minerals
Africans not working fast enough
Has other Africans cut off some hands of theirs, to make the remainder work faster
>>
File: images (5).jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
4KB, 300x168px
>>3050193
>but his approach wasn't hands-on at all.
>>
>>3050180

It's not. It's based on rough estimates. The first census was in 1924, but based on their own population estimates the Belgians themselves admitted the population of the Free State likely fell by around half.

I mean, you managed to get 19th century Europeans and Americans shocked and outraged by your level of brutality and made human limbs part of a currency system. Does it really matter if it was 5 million or 10?
>>
>>3049948
He was a saint
>>
>>3049926
>Conquers Congo fair and square
>Wants rubber
>Puts natives in charge of other natives in producing it
>They act like savages to fullfill quotas and get their pay
>Belgians find out and end it
Wow Belgian colonialism so evil #killwhitey
>>
>>3050885

You forgot:

> Sets rubber production quota
> Kills those who don't make it with mercenaries
> Orders state Monopoly on rubber, refuses to compensate for its collection since it's the states rubber and labor to collect it is just a fair tax

It was mass slavery mate.
>>
>>3049926
My poorly informed understanding is that he wanted the congo for belgium, parliament said no thanks dont do that, so he said fine the congo belongs to me and its a free state and anyone go there do whatever the fuck they want no rules
>>
>>3050193
Oh, that is clever.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.