[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conscription in the East

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Allah Head ch'Allah.jpg (171KB, 800x507px) Image search: [Google]
Allah Head ch'Allah.jpg
171KB, 800x507px
How did conscription work for countries outside of europe between the 1400 and 1700's?
Were they forced to use noble levies also, or were they free to conscript every able bodied man?
Specifically looking at Ottomans, Mamelukes, Persians, Indians, Chinese and Japanese.

And what about england? I know they had the shire levy, was this still in effect or did they have levies similar to the rest of europe?
>>
>>3048332
Ottomans had a standing army of Jannisaries ready for war at any time. Sipahis were regular cavalry units and they went to war along with some recruited people working on their holdings. The task of sipahis was to provide a certain number of soldiers from their holdings, depending on the size of a holding of course.

As for other, i don't know.
>>
>>3048332
>filename
Kek
>>
anything on china?
>>
>>3048958
Conscription wasn't the main military regulation. Professional military were the main stay at this point. Somewhere around close to a million strong professional were in place.
>>
>>3048970
To expand on this, 1400s-1700s were ming dynasty of China.

They don't have conscription, instead they have social class which families belong to. Families that belong to the military class automatically become soldiers. This is where they get their men from.

This also means there isn't an unpopular general public consensus on conscription but rather only part of the social class dissatisfaction. Which means more corruption. This is exactly why the Ming collapsed. Although initially the corruption was minor, the result of generations of corruption led them to have a whole bunch of corruption everywhere with no outside checks.
>>
>>3048350
The size of the Janissary units is greatly exaggerated. Only in the 17th century their numbers were actually big but at that point they were totally undisciplined, corrupt and ultimately useless.
>>
>>3049005
To expand upon this,the wei-suo(guard and battalion) was hereditary military system that was a continuation of Yuan tumen organization with the self sufficiency of the Tang era Fubing.

During the mid-late Ming they were replaced by paid mercenaries and devolved to beggars,laborers and vagrants.
>>
>>3048332
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devshirme
Blood tax.
1:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xYJ0vSJai0
The 16th year had passed since the last time this blood tribute was collected, so choosing was easy and rich. Without hardship, the required amount of healthy, bright and fit children between the age of 10 and 15 was found. Even tho many parents hid their children in the woods, taught them to pretend they're retarded or to limp, dressed them in torn up rags and dirtied them up, all so that they may escape Agha's choice. Some even truly mutilated their own children by cutting off a finger. The chosen children were taken away on small Bosnian horses in a long line. On the horses there were two knitted baskets (like for carrying fruit), one on each side, and in each was a small boy and with him a small bag and a round pie, the last thing he gets from his parental home. From those baskets that swung, the fresh and scared faces of boys could be seen. Some looked calmly as far as they could, at their home town, some ate and cried at the same time, and some slept. At a certain distance from the last horses, in this strange caravan, there were many parents and relatives of these children that were being taken forever, to a foreign world where they were to be circumcised, Turkified, and forgetting their faith and their birthplace and their origin, spend their lives in Janissary clothing or in some other higher administration of the empire. They were mostly women, especially mothers, sisters and grandmothers of the boys. When they got too close Agha's men beat them back with whips. They'd run away, hide in the forest next to the road, but after a while they'd gather behind the caravan and try to see their children with their teary eyes. The mothers were especially tenacious, they ran with quick steps, not looking at the ground, messy, with uncombed hair, forgetting everything around them, they wept like someone had died, others shouted and screamed mindlessly...
Cont
>>
>>3048557
I dont get it
>>
>>3049512
screamed mindlessly as if their wombs were being torn by childbirth once more, and blinded by their tears ran straight into whips, and to every hit of the whip they asked: "Where are you taking him, where are you taking my boy". Some tried to call out to their son clearly and to give him something to remember them by, as much as can fit into two words, a last warning or advice before the journey. "Rade, my son, don't forget your mother"! "Ilija, Ilija", screamed another women while looking for a dear and familiar face, and ceaselessly repeated the word as if she hoped to carve into him that name that will be taken from him in just a few days.
But the journey is long, the ground hard, body weak, and the Osmanlis powerful and merciless. Bit by bit those women were being left behind, tired from the walking, driven away by the whips, one earlier, one later they gave up from the arduous task. Here on the Visegrad raft even the most tenacious ones had to stop because they didn't let them get on the raft and it was impossible to swim across. There they could sit and cry because no one was hitting them anymore, there they waited as if they became stone, unyielding to hunger, thirst, cold, until they saw on the other bank of the river the caravan of horses closing in to Dobrun, and they thought about their own child that's going out of their sight.

I apologize if the translation is rough around the edges, translating nobel prize winning prose isn't easy
>>
>>3048332
nice one that file name!
>>
>>3049524
dragonball
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.