[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm quite interested in History of Protestantism, although

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: luther stained.jpg (96KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
luther stained.jpg
96KB, 331x500px
So, I'm quite interested in History of Protestantism, although I'm not protestant myself.

About Martin Luther's writings...
Where one should start with Luther's works? Which are the best translations?
Are there any commented edition of the 95 theses?
>>
>>3042285
The 95 theses are rather boring. Nothing about them is particularly edgy.

The tl;dr is that Luther stumbled dick-first into the reformation, so it was probably the result of other internal conflicts.
>>
File: lutherball.jpg (182KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
lutherball.jpg
182KB, 640x960px
>>3042285
https://www.amazon.com/Their-Classic-Warning-about-Hatred/dp/1930004893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499280063&sr=8-1&keywords=on+the+jews+and+their+lies
>>
>>3042285
At risk of looking like a brainlet. This guy is a theology professor in an university or something and he makes some top notch lectures on the history of the church.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrI5U0R293u9uveijefKyAA?&ab_channel=RyanReeves
>>
>>3042285
"A Reformation Reader" by Denis Janz
"Reformation Europe" by Ulinka Rublack
"Printing, Propaganda, and Martin Luther" by Mark U. Edwards Jr.
"When Fathers Ruled: Family Life in Reformation Europe" by Steven Ozment

t. a guy who took an undergrad class on the reformation but is no expert
>>
the augsburg confession is better if you want a concise overview or luther's theological positions. in the 95 theses he mostly only argues against indulgences.

there's a book about the reformation by diarmaid macculloch who also wrote a very good general history of christianity that i read. i expect it would be a good place to start.
>>
Desperate to justify their lives to God, Puritans started to account for themselves in diaries and then autobiographies. The greatest of these was John Bunyan's spiritual autobiography, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, which he followed with The Pilgrim's Progress and its haunting 'What shall I do to be saved?'

Bunyan signalled the beginning of an epic Puritan tradition of literature which would culminate, via Daniel Defoe, Samuel Richardson and George Eliot, in the modern novel.
>>
>>3042285
Martin Luther was a Catholic friar who wanted the Catholic church to clean up. For being excommunicated, the Catholics called the breakaway Catholics "protestants".

"Protestants" have nothing to do with Christians. The "Protestants" died out 500 years ago, mostly murdered in the Counter-Reformation launched by the bloody and murderous Vatican via their order of assassins, the Jesuits.

Christians, and Christianity, have absolutely nothing to do with Rome/Babylon. And there have been Christians since Pentecost 32 AD continuously to the present, having absolutely nothing to do with Rome, avoiding Roman assassins, wars, holocausts, etc., and never having bent the knee to Rome.

Martin Luther died an excommunicated Catholic, revealing his true nature by publishing "On the Jews and Their Lies", a tome quoted a half dozen times by Hitler in "Mein Kampf".
>>
>>3043307
Hi Mr. Jack Chick, how's heaven?
>>
>>3043307
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
>>
>>3043338
Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
>>
Good replies, I thank everyone for this.

>>3043122
this seems to be a concise selection.

>>3043286
I am planning to read the confession as well, but I wanted first to explore "the young Luther" before his desire of establishing a reformed church.

>>3043292
I really rather to stay with Luther and his contemporaries for the time being, Puritanism is different scope.

>>3043307
Yes, yes, goyim. Fuck tradition, theology and shit, the holy ghost will come upon us, and reveal everything we need to know. All we ever needed was a KJV.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.