[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek/Roman religious cults

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: display-719.jpg (20KB, 400x600px)
display-719.jpg
20KB, 400x600px
So I was thinking about a Roman history class I had in the past. We touched on different cult practices within the hellenistic religions, one of interest was the cult of dionysus/Bacchus. Little is known about the actual truth to the practices that went on outside speculation.
Does anyone know more more about specific worship and rituals for that and other religious cults such as Aphrodite/venus or Mars/Ares, Juno/Hera, Athena etc? Were certain cults more likely to involve sacrafices than others (ex.Mars vs.hermes)or was at least animal sacrafice always a thing?
>>
>>3039590
Bump
>>
>>3039590
Sounds interesting, bump
>>
>>3039590
Human sacrifice was seen as disgusting thing for romans. Though they did practice it few times. Animal sacrifes were common. Each home had mini shrine for gods.
>>
>>3041148
They would usually offer enemies killed on the battles to Mars/Are though right? That still technically counts as a human sacrafice.
So each family dedicated their house to specific gods(most likely the common ones I mentioned) or they had specific ones?
>>
I also forgot to mention blood letting/offering. I guess that was pretty common too. Was it common in nearly all cult practices?
>>
File: Josephus.png (491KB, 652x873px) Image search: [Google]
Josephus.png
491KB, 652x873px
>>3041246
>They would usually offer enemies killed on the battles to Mars/Are though right?

I don't think Roman Worship of Mars was quite the same as Moses going out and butchering a bunch of Priests for Yahweh. Romans weren't some sort of delusional religious fanatics - they fought to control a territory, not as a religious crusade. If you ask me they were too lax and should have butchered every Jew as soon as they got a copy of the Torah on their hands (maybe they didn't?) Regardless, things in Judea were so bad they even beheaded a Roman soldier because he burned a Torah scroll just to keep the Jews from rioting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXDL2hQ76tU
>>
>>3041392
What? I didn't say they only killed people to offer them you idiot! I was saying that they used the opportunity offer/dedicate the lives they took in battle to Mars. Not literally taking the dead and burning them at an alter or worse, taking prisoners just to sacrafice them to Mars.
>>
>>3039590
Thracian drunk orgies: the cult.
>>
>>3041433
For real though? Was getting high and drunk to put one in a "trance" the only requirement for worship?
No actual prayer?
Its possible though that the sex orgy thing was only the consequence of the former two and not a requirement. Romans in general, seemed bias of the cult because like you, they perceived it as foreign influenced. Thus the state exaggerated many things that went on n the cult as a way to demonize it.
>>
Would people worship a god like Venus or Bacchus, for example, by pleasuring themselves first? Seems odd. I saw it on HBO's Rome and assumed it was b.s.
https://youtu.be/UjrTzJHn0bM
>>
>>3039590
Bump for interest
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.