[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Usage of the terms WWI and WWII

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Ethiopian troops 1936.jpg (236KB, 1600x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Ethiopian troops 1936.jpg
236KB, 1600x1020px
Should 'WWI' and 'WWII' have their meanings expanded to include conflicts related to them that happened within short periods of time after them?

After the Armistices that ended WWI, the Turkish War of Independence and Russian Civil War continued for years afterward, and were major wars in their own right; considering WWI directly and immediately caused them, should these wars be considered part of WWI as a whole? That is to say, should WWI be understood, not necessarily as the war between the Central Powers and the Entente, but as a period of general conflict around the world from 1914-1923*?

Also, there were wars leading up to and overlapping with WWII well before Hitler's invasion of Poland; should the invasions of China, Ethiopia, and Albania, as well as the Spanish Civil War (I'd be interested to know of others) also be considered part of WWII, revising WWII into a period of conflict between 1936 and 1945?

Pic related.
>>
>>3034436
i imagine a hundred years from now it'll all be combined into some sort of "Great War of the Twentieth Century"
kind of like how everybody just says "crusades" to refer to all the crusades
>>
>>3034436
The entire period should be called the Second Thirty Years War, senpai.
>>
Should the Cold War just be considered WW3? I mean it was a world wide war.
>>
>>3034467
I would say no, since the main two belligerents never actually met in combat directly.
>>
I only agree about the Second Sino-Japanese war. It ties directly into WW2.
>>
>>3034457
>kind of like how everybody just says "crusades" to refer to all the crusades
kek
>>
>>3034570
But what about the Russian Civil War and Turkish War of Independence as being parts of WWI? They both happened pretty much directly from WWI itself (due to the collapse of two of the belligerent powers).
>>
>>3034538
There were actually limited dogfights between Soviet & American jets in Korea but for the most part it was a proxy war between the two like Vietnam.
>>
>>3034436
The Second Sino War, Winter War, & Continuation war should absolutely be. You could argue to a degree about the Russian Civil War since many western nations sent limited numbers of troops to fight with the Whites against the Reds. But to be fair, you always have 'other' nations fighting in revolutionary and civil wars.
>>
>>3034436
Don't worry about that man, the world has always been at war. There's always a war somewhere.
>>
>>3034436
2nd Sino Japanese war should definitely be considered a part of WW2
The Spanish civil war and the invasion of Ethiopia should not imo, they're just preludes, precursors.
For WW1, i think the Turkish war of independence should be considered a part of it, because it changed the outcome of the WW1 peace treaty. But the Russian civil war is an offshoot, while related, and caused by it, it didn't have an effect on the outcome of WW1, it became it's own conflict, and what a complex conflict it was.
>>
>>3034436
It should be called "the Great War" like it used to be. It just had 20 years of truce.
>>
pat buchanana thinks 1914-45 should just be labelled one european civil war
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.