[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the advantages of logographic script over a phonetic one.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: pasted-graphic-21.png (52KB, 241x354px) Image search: [Google]
pasted-graphic-21.png
52KB, 241x354px
What are the advantages of logographic script over a phonetic one.
>>
>>3034374
>phonetic
Where? No such thing - and no, before retards claim that their language's use of the latin script is phonetic, it is not, you dumb cunts.

English alphabet is basically a typically-predictable logography.
>>
>>3034374
You could publish a single newspaper for a multilingual audience. Look at China.
>>
>>3034385
>A language's orthography must 100% correspond with its phonology to be considered phonemic
Retard
>>
>>3034385
>Nonphonemic = logographic
>>
logographs can be read more quickly. they take a hell of a lot longer to learn than phonetic strings
>>
>>3034374
Ideograms are perfect for an empire, because they can be read from any language, but also because they are a kind of esoteric language in itself.
Phonograms are better for large scale education on the other hand, and for learning in general.
>>
>>3034374
literally none. It's terrible.
>>
>>3034374
Idioms and figures of speech become even more impossible to understand. That's what made Chinese impossible for me to read, anyway. How the fuck was I supposed to know "Iron Rooster" was a train?
>>
>>3034374
Chinese speaker here. Chinese is not (purely) logographic; most characters are phonetic.

Example: 六 is a picture of a hut, but it means (because it's pronounced the same as) "six."

Other example: 唐, 糖, 塘, 瑭 are all pronounced the same.
>>
>>3034374
It allowed for denser writing.

Basically, it makes it easier to make books before the printing press is developed, and much harder afterwards.
>>
Logographic writing isn't easier/faster to read though. People who read phonetic writing don't spell out the words in their head unless it's a word they don't use often or haven't seen before. It's why you can switch the letters between the first and last in a word and people will still know what word it is. This is because people remember the "shape" of the words they read/write commonly just like in logographic systems, meaning they read just as fast. The real difference is that when a phonetic user sees a new word he has the ability to spell it out or even divine it's meaning through its etymological similarities to other words. Meanwhile if a logographic user finds a new symbol they are out of luck.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.