[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fasces

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: fasc.png (13KB, 590x413px) Image search: [Google]
fasc.png
13KB, 590x413px
were the fasces always purely symbolic or did they ever have an actual; practical combat use?
>>
>>3030941
I think it's always had symbolism but lictors did use them as actual weapons.
>>
>>3030941
Yes, there is an actual practical use, it indicates fascist ideology consists of just a bundle of sticks and an edge.
>>
>>3030974
sigh...
*upboats*
>>
>>3030968
why use wood? was it lighter than the same size made of iron?

most importantly: how they actually used it as a weapon is what i'm wondering
>>
>>3030941
Its used to denote status, similar to modern badges

>According to Livy, the lictors were likely an Etruscan tradition, adopted by Rome.[5] The highest magistrate, the dictator, was entitled to twenty-four lictors and fasces, the consul to twelve, the proconsul eleven, the praetor six (two within the pomerium), the propraetor five, and the curule aediles two.

>Another part of the symbolism developed in Republican Rome was the inclusion of a single-headed axe in the fasces, with the blade projecting from the bundle. The axe indicated that the magistrate's judicial powers (imperium) included capital punishment. Fasces carried within the Pomerium—the boundary of the sacred inner city of Rome—had their axe blades removed
>>
>>3030941
The fasces was a symbol of the authority of the one who those carrying it protected.

The sticks showed he had the power to physically punish, the axe showed he had power over capital punishment as well
>>
>>3030985
>why use wood?
The symbolic meaning is that as an individual, a stick is easily broken. But when tied to one another, they're stronger. Iron is strong either way.
>>
>>3030985
Typically, whenever young aristocracy or distinguished soldiers was grievously wounded and lost more than a hand up to the elbow, an artisan would craft a fasces and bind it to the limb. From thereon the bundle would be cut and polished and the affixation of a blade ensured that the patient would remain useful to country, Emperor, and family. For formal appearances the ax could be replaced with a pretty flower
>>
The fasces when carried were supposed to be totally useless as an actual weapon that was the whole point.
>>
Fasces were a Dutch invention, stolen by the Romans who consistently worked to undermine Dutch progress throughout their existence with a near perfect smear campaign. Thats why to this day no one will tell you that Romulus and Remus were really Dutch.

Magna Mater was also based on a Dutch woman who taught the Romans how to fish.
>>
>>3030941
It's a $ymbol of their faggotry.
>>
>>3030941

is this the only real symbol for "strength in unity" that is still used today?
>>
>>3031034
Source?
>>
File: 001.png (624KB, 639x492px) Image search: [Google]
001.png
624KB, 639x492px
>>3031409
>>
hmm hearing a lot of contradiction itt i'm even more confused now
>>
>>3030941
Fasces et secures, insignia imperii
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.