[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was battle like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1812 Borodino 5.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1812 Borodino 5.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
Hey /his/, what were napoleonic battles like? I read a lot about how large they were, see maps with dozens of battalions all placed in formations, batteries and all the cav where they should be. I have seen a lot of paintings but these make it hard to see the full picture and often only focus on a single part of battle. Are there any texts or images that describe how battle went accurately and in detail?
>>
This might be what you're looking for.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/rylandscollections.wordpress.com/2015/05/29/witness-to-waterloo-a-soldiers-first-hand-account-of-the-battle/amp/
>>
>>3029860
Battles were and still are long. It doesn't happen in 15 minutes screen time, it takes hours sometimes days even months. In the early 19th century battles would be fought with line tactics aka disciplined meat grinder, if a flank is about to fall a messenger would run up to the commander to let him know, so he can act accordingly.
>>
>>3029868
thx
>>3029870
i know the battles were long but i find it hard to imagine the battles with all the companies marching in columns/lines and reforming according to what was needed with thousands of cavalrymen and the skirmishing infantry also seems weird to imagine because i'm bad with distances and idk how it would look if chains of skirmishers fired at eachother hundreds of meters in front of the main line while the formations took place
>>
>>3029860
Check out Empire: Total War / Napoleon: Total War.
Don't forget to download the Darthmod for both of them.
>>
>>3031018
>not downloading Imperial Destroyer with VDM mod for Empire
>>
>>3029860
The Geneva convention should ban all use of weaponry designed and used after the Napoleonic era just so we can find out.
Make warfare aesthetic again!
>>
>>3031018
You do realize the question was regarding scale right? Learn to read retard
>>
>>3031018
Is this a joke ?
>>
>>3031251
>professional soldiers will never dress in brightly coloured uniforms ever again

The greatest shame.
>>
>>3031018
I also recommend the Sharpe series. Especially the parts where they act like modern spec ops and clean their guns and shit.
>>
Read "Faces of Battle" by John Keegan. Gives a good account of the perils of Napoleonic warfare
>>
>>3029860
The movie Waterloo does a good job of presenting the way battles would be fought, plus it's essential historical kino
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.