[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two Handed Swords

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Two Handed Sword.jpg (227KB, 856x768px) Image search: [Google]
Two Handed Sword.jpg
227KB, 856x768px
So, in European and East Asian weapon history, people there have these bigass two handed swords that seem to need all the space you can give to its wielder for them to use it.

In a time when battles were fought by tight formations of soldiers, who wielded two handed swords during battle and when and how the hell were these things used?

Seems to be something not ideal for formation fighting.
>>
Two handed weapons were for dueling. Nobles loved duels. Nobles also controlled literture so thats why you hear about it instead of pleb tier ordinary warfare.
>>
They were mainly used by mercenaries to break pike formations and on duels (at least in europe)
>>
File: changdao.jpg (38KB, 624x600px) Image search: [Google]
changdao.jpg
38KB, 624x600px
>The changdao reappeared again during the Ming dynasty as a general term for two handed single edged swords. It was viewed very positively as an effective weapon by Qi Jiguang, who acquired a Kage-ryū (Aizu) manual from Japanese wokou, studied it, and modified it for his troops and used its tactics against enemies on the Mongol border c. 1560. At the time Qi specified a sword length of 1.95 meters, similar to the Japanese ōdachi. Its handle was long, apparently slightly more than one-third of its total length, and its curve shallower than that of Japanese swords. Commanding up to 100,000 troops on the Mongol border, General Qi found the changdao so effective that up to forty percent of his commandos carried it; it stayed in service throughout the late Ming dynasty.[citation needed] The changdao is often compared to the Japanese ōdachi or naginata which bear close resemblances and similarities to it.
>>
>>3024206
Not all battles were fought in tight ranks,
>>
>>3024206
Various purposes. I assume you mean any two-handed sword, not just the very largest.

> Duelling
> Self-defence
> Use from horseback (since it's long)
> Bodyguard duty
> Secondary weapon
> Charging massed infantry

For the very, very big two-handers, it's mostly just
> Bodyguard duty
> Showpiece
>>
>>3024206
>Seems to be something not ideal for formation fighting.
The kind of formation you're thinking of basically only works with spears or arming swords.
IRL there were lots of situations that didn't call for that kind of closed ranks, and lots of situations where soldiers weren't moved around as regiment sized units.
There's speculation of greatswords being used to disrupt pike formations, but usage manuals tend to describe their use as either area denial weapons (basically keep swinging them around to keep enemies at a distance, mostly to protect people or standards) or as reverse pollaxes for dismounted knights.
They were invariably meant for warfare, just not formation.
Also they had use (mostly in southern Europe) as dueling weapons, but those variants are usually lighter and slimmer, if just as long.
Also the chinks apparently used them extensively both against the mongols and the southern pirates, but they had some very peculiar small unit tactics at the time which I don't know remember well enough to explain.
>>
>>3024307
>very peculiar small unit tactics
Damn. You do have my attention.
>>
>>3024206
They would carry more weapons on them as well as their pack mules/horses
>>
>>3024206
>that seem to need all the space you can give to its wielder for them to use it.

Movie and video game depictions of people swinging swords in huge showy arcs are not realistic.
>>
>>3024451
While most media certainly go about it in a retarded way, huge showy arcs were actually a thing.
Greatswords are looong anon, swinging them around is a great way to keep your opponent from approaching you.
Sure, you can halfsword too, but that's not the only way to use a greatsword, else you'd just go for the pollaxe.
Half the greatsword manuals used in HEMA are basically about how to efficently moulinet your weapon without tiring or leaving openings.
>>
You don't need a lot of space to swing a sword. Most strikes are forward and diagonal, and you can step into a retreat and withdraw easily enough, preparing to deliver your next strike.
>>
>>3024451
>Movie and video game depictions of people swinging swords in huge showy arcs are not realistic.
Well they sort of did that when they employed them as area denial weapons.
Due to their balance, you can swing about a two-hander far better than a pole arm. They're capable of fast and powerful cuts.
Also due to length of the handle and (in European swords) the ricasso they could be employed in a similar fashion to a pole arm too.
>>
File: bushiwithOdachi.png (640KB, 461x746px) Image search: [Google]
bushiwithOdachi.png
640KB, 461x746px
>>3024206
Nodachi were used in a variety of circumstances. From horse back, fighting in open ranks (very common in early medieval Japan) duels, and probably other situations. They were often carried into battle by retainers and given to the warrior when he needed it, making them an upper class weapon to some extent, though there were lower class warriors in the edo period like the Tosa samurai who preferred longer swords
>>
>>3024605
>Nodachi were used from horse back
I know there's speculation of greatswords being used as short couched lances on horseback in very rare cases, but how would you go about swinging a fucking nodachi from horseback?
>>
File: horsebacknodachi.jpg (75KB, 510x290px) Image search: [Google]
horsebacknodachi.jpg
75KB, 510x290px
>>3024630
There are a few historical records of it. the famous swordsman Matsumoto Bizen no Kami was said to used the weapon in such a manner (and perhaps died doing so)
I dont know anyone who practices it today so I cant give you many technical details, but like a naginata you had to control the horse with your legs and use the weapon two handed.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.