[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Majorian Alternate History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: majorian .png (259KB, 400x454px)
majorian .png
259KB, 400x454px
>be Majorian
>last of the Western Roman Emperors who tried to recover the territory of the Roman Empire
>defeats Theodoric II at the Battle of Arelate
>forces Goths to abandon positions in Septimania and Hispania
>attack Burgundians and force them from the Rhone Valley and accept federate status
>Majorian's generals lead a successful attack against the Suebics and make them federate status
>Majorian's fleet to retake Africa is destroyed due to treachery
>also sought to make imperial administration more efficient and just
>be assassinated by Ricimer

>"According to historian Edward Gibbon, Majorian "presents the welcome discovery of a great and heroic character, such as sometimes arise, in a degenerate age, to vindicate the honour of the human species"
JUST

What would've happened to Rome had Majorian not been assassinated and been able to retake Africa?
>>
Rome would have taken Africa, presumably.
>>
things would be different
>>
>>3023928
would he have tried to retake Britannia after Africa? or would fighting Saxons and Angles with Roman forces heavily made up of Saxons and other Germanic people have been unreasonable?
>>
>>3023928
>3023928
I've heard people say the underlying sructural problems were too great, but he definitely could have extended the lifespan of the empire by a generation IMO
>>
>>3023928
The true Callaecia would finally throw off the Roman yoke and reform the celts
>>
>>3024202
Even if the structural problems were great, could we have at least seen the Empire survive in a different manner? After Majorian, most Roman emperors were either pawns of Germanics or the Byzantines, but if Majorian manages to keep the can kicking could we see a resurgence in Rome?

Granted, even if Ricimer decides not to assassinate Majorian, you still have the conflict between Majorian and the Senatorial aristocrats to deal with. But in that regard, could Rome have evolved into a more feudal model?
>>
>>3024082
^This. Seems like a good question to ask. I don't think there was any concept of like a united tribal brethren, especially if Majorian is able to conquer more tribes, but it's definitely a question to be asked IMHO.
>>
>>3023928
Bump
>>
>>3025743
Every single Western Roman Emperor was a "pawn" to the Byzantines, because Constantinople was the capital of the Roman Empire, not Rome, and the Western Emperor was a junior partner.
>>
Imagine if they just gave Alaric an official command.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.