[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding the medieval mind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

I want books that will give me some level of insight into the medieval mind. These can be books read by, written by, or about medieval people.

I've recently read Augustine's Confessions, and I'm currently reading von Simson's The Gothic Cathedral and Wilson's The Holy Roman Empire, which both address this. A few obvious books would by City of God, Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy and the Divine Comedy, but I probably only have the time to read the Boethius of those. What are some other relevant books?

Also can anyone recommend/comment on Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome?
>>
There's the time traveller's guide to medieval
England, but it's pretty light reading.

Generally I'd say reading as much as possible from the time period is a good idea.
>>
>>3022918
Pro tip: "Middle Ages" is set of European myths and legends. They were created in 18-20 centuries and were inserted between real Antiquity and real Renaissance to extend nartional stories (WE WERE KHANGZ).

Will you seriously research mind of characters of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings?
>>
File: 1489475002051.jpg (201KB, 750x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1489475002051.jpg
201KB, 750x1175px
>>
File: 1493465457180.jpg (2MB, 2000x1378px) Image search: [Google]
1493465457180.jpg
2MB, 2000x1378px
>>
>>3022918
Huizinga's "The Waning of the Middle Ages" or Manchester's "A World Lit Only by Fire" you can get both on library genesis.
>>
>>3023230
I know what youre referring to, but I think its pretty clear from the works ive already referenced in the op that im not looking for some sort of brothers grimm retelling of medieval life or to find game of thrones in history. I also didnt specify beyond just 'medieval' because im basically talking from charlemagne through to the reformation. but probably a particular emphasis on 11th and 12th centuries, just before and as aristotle returned to the west

>>3023359
thanks, ill take a look at them
>>
>>3022918

>Also can anyone recommend/comment on Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome?
I recomend it.
>>
>>3022918
Gurevich's books should be perfect for you.

Categories of Medieval culture

Medieval Popular Culture: Problems of Belief and Perception
>>
>>3023619
Cheese and the worms by Carlo Ginzburg is also very good and fun to read.
>>
Depends who you want to know the mindset of. You are less likely to know about peasant mindset by reading Chrétien de Troyes, which is more chivalry-oriented. But maybe you can read some farces in that perspective.
Fulcanelli's cathedral mysteries is a good way to begin with for medieval esotericism I believe.
>>
>>3022918

The Canterbury Tales might be a good start.
>>
>>3022918
>>3026280

Also "Pilgrim's Progress" and a modern novel by Umberto Eco called "Baudolino".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudolino
>>
>>3022918
>Boethius
Is this related to murder and betrayal?
>>
>>3026425

He wrote it while awaiting execution for heresy.
>>
>>3022918
C.S. Lewis - The Discarded Image

Reconstructs the medieval worldview from what they thought about the cosmos, to animals, to history and so on.

Take aways:
#1 - Everything ridiculous the medievals believed was because they read it in a (Greek or Roman) book
#2 - They had an autistic desire to categorize everything in a hierarchy.
>>
Look no further my friend.
>>
>>3022918
Most books written were either subtly satyrical or theological musings completely disconnected from reality.

If you want insight into the medieval mind just read psychiatric literature on the mind of psychopaths and papers on the inheritance of the condition.
The aristocrats were at 90% psychoes raised in a psycho culture. From time to time nobles capable of genuine empathy would rise to prominence but there was an entire branch of Christianity meant to keep them in check.

Humanism was the rise of men with a balanced emotional predisposition which is why they reacted so strongly against the previous political reality.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.