[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird co-ocurrences in history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: OWright+Connie+1944asm2[1].jpg (36KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
OWright+Connie+1944asm2[1].jpg
36KB, 600x462px
>Armored knights and gunpowder weapons in Europe coexisted for a century and a half.

>People were still worshiping old Roman gods at the time of Charlemagne.

>Swords, machine guns, aircraft, catapults, maces, poison gas, sappers, and flamethrowers do not belong in the same war... unless it's World War I.

>The year Thomas Edison invented the phonograph, the last sword slinging samurai warriors were finally put down in Japan.

Pic is Orville Wright flying in a jet.
>>
Nuclear weapons were used in the same war that some soldiers carried swords into battle
>>
Jeanne Calment met Van Gogh, saw the Eiffel Tower being built and contributed on a rap album in 1996.
>>
File: 1903_cover[1].jpg (87KB, 640x912px) Image search: [Google]
1903_cover[1].jpg
87KB, 640x912px
Which is older? The World Series or the Kingdom of Norway?

That's right! The World Series!
>>
>>3022104
Fucking incredible.

Not nearly as old, but the scientist and engineer William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, saw quite a spread of technology and scientific thought in his lifetime. He would've been old enough that he remembered when people believed in spontaneous generation (maggots generating from rotted meat, mice springing fully formed from grain silos, etc.). From this era of relative ignorance, he found the correct value of absolute zero, worked on the transatlantic telegraph line, and as an electrician, did more to advance and modernize the trade than any man before him. He lived long enough to see the invention of the triode vacuum tube and the birth of radio and electronics.
>>
>>Swords, machine guns, aircraft, catapults, maces, poison gas, sappers, and flamethrowers do not belong in the same war... unless it's World War I.

I mean, catapults are still used till this day if you count ISIS-syria war
>>
>>3022335
Pics.
>>
Betty White was born when the Ottoman Empire was still around
>>
>>3022399
Who the fuck is Betty White
>>
File: 1490373579647.png (305KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1490373579647.png
305KB, 500x447px
>>3022412
>>
File: tom-mix[1].jpg (145KB, 926x735px) Image search: [Google]
tom-mix[1].jpg
145KB, 926x735px
Tom Mix was one of the first Western movie stars. Starting in 1909, he appeared in 291 films (before you get TOO impressed, silent movies of the day were often only a few minutes long). The crazy thing is that many legends of the wild west were still alive to see these films. Indeed, Tom Mix served as a pallbearer for none other than Wyatt Earp. To make things crazier, Mix once helped out an injured college football player named Marion Morrison; he got him a job moving props for Fox Studios thus starting Marion's career in Hollywood. You may know Marion better by his stage name: John Wayne.
>>
File: 1497714352391.jpg (712KB, 1792x1372px) Image search: [Google]
1497714352391.jpg
712KB, 1792x1372px
At the same time that the American Civil War was happening, the Taiping Rebellion was raging in China
In other words, a civil war in China was being fought with spears, swords, bows, polearm-wielding cavalry, matchlocks, and primitive cannon at the same time as a civil war in America was being fought with breech loading rifles, rifled artillery, carbine-wielding cavalry, and Gatling guns
>>
File: 0[1].jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0[1].jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>3022597
That's a good one, anon.

Consider this. At the same time those conflicts were happening, the Tongans were struggling to keep together a sprawling pacific empire (almost a millennium old by then) with canoes, clubs, and sharp sticks. The last emperor died in 1865.
>>
File: ferdinando-tomb_3.jpg (255KB, 850x760px) Image search: [Google]
ferdinando-tomb_3.jpg
255KB, 850x760px
>>3020870
The last member of the last Roman Imperial dynasty, Ferdinando Palaiologos, is buried on Barbados in the Caribbean.
>>
>>3020870
I just had a thought. The Samurai ended as armed warriors in the 1870s. Godzilla came out in 1954. The Japanese being a long lived people, the samurai must've still been in living memory when Godzilla came out.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.