[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slavs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Can we talk about the fucking slavs, with as few memes as possible and with NO /pol/ whiteness memes. Where the fuck did the Slavs come from? They seem to appear out of nowhere in the 6th century and colonize a huge part of eastern and southern Europe. Supposedly they were pretty egalitarian and had advanced agriculture, yet very little is known about their culture and way of life.
>>
>>3019354
Modern day Czech republic. The Pripet marsh in Belarus is a meme theory created by a brainlet.
>>
>>3019354
Iranian/scythians going west is my bet, like the pre-"celts"/italians or Dorics, they were one of the last indo-european migration if you want, to the west.
>>
>>3019390
WE
>>
>>3019395
Get lost retard
>>
That's bs. They didn't appear out of anywhere, they were always there. It's just that other migrating people joined them and Slavonized in the process.
>>
File: Proposed Slavic Homelands.jpg (2MB, 2921x2290px) Image search: [Google]
Proposed Slavic Homelands.jpg
2MB, 2921x2290px
>>3019354
There are a number of theories, ranging from the common Pripyat one to the autochtonous theory (which alleges that there were no or minimal migrations). Basically all theories have some kind of ideological motivation behind them, though, so it's hard to say which comes closest.

The ancient Slavic tribes were known for their egalitarian society; depending on one's ideology, they have been described as living in democracy or in primitive communism. Now, the democratic tradition lived on in Carantania where it is said Jefferson found inspiration on which to base the political system in the US. Dukes were chosen among the Carantanian (or in some cases possibly even foreign - in which case they still had to learn the language) nobility in a sort of representative democracy; originally, free men in each village would individually vote on it and the mayors representing their villages would then meet and each would cast a single vote depending on who their people had chosen. The ceremony was conducted by a representative of the free men and the would-be duke had to step in front of him in peasant's clothes and only after promising to rule in the good of all people in the realm, the free man would stand up from the throne.
>>
>>3019390
>Iranian/scythians going west is my bet, like the pre-"celts"/italians or Dorics, they were one of the last indo-european migration if you want, to the west.

But there are no real archeological finds that would prove a big migration, at least from what i have read. And weren't the Scythians/Sarmatians absorbed by the Slavs?

>>3019418

>That's bs. They didn't appear out of anywhere, they were always there.

I said they seemed to appear out of nowhere since little to no historical sources mention the Slavs before the 6th century.

>>3019421

>There are a number of theories, ranging from the common Pripyat one to the autochtonous theory (which alleges that there were no or minimal migrations). Basically all theories have some kind of ideological motivation behind them, though, so it's hard to say which comes closest.

I honestly am inclined to believe the "autochtonous" theory, the differences among the modern Slavs are simply go great, from culture, values and even to looks. South Slavs look closer to Greeks and Romanians then they do with Ukrainians or Russians, as a South Slav i find Czechs and Polacks equally foreign as Germans and Norwegians, i might understand some of what they say but in most other ways they are foreign to me.
>>
>>3019476
The divergences are easy to explain desu. According to the migration theory, Slavic tribes went their own ways sometime in the 5th or 6th century and mixed with the native populations in the lands they settled in. And since it has been about a millenia and a half since then, with all historical circumstances which affected the Slavic nations, it's easy to see how we are not so similar today.

I can't say which theory is more true but in the end, it doesn't really matter - whether our ancestors came to the lands we inhabited today or whether they mixed with the people living her before us, we are in both cases connected to this soil.
>>
>>3019476
>south Slavs look more similar to Greeks
I think that's because they're indigenous to the same type of climate and maybe some mixing. I don't see why south Slavs shouldn't be considered Mediterranean
>>
>>3019526
>The divergences are easy to explain desu. According to the migration theory, Slavic tribes went their own ways sometime in the 5th or 6th century and mixed with the native populations in the lands they settled in. And since it has been about a millenia and a half since then, with all historical circumstances which affected the Slavic nations, it's easy to see how we are not so similar today.

There is a theory that the actual Slavic migration was small and limited, but, because the Slavs didn't have centralized leadership and armies, it was harder to bribe them to fuck off, as most were independent farmers who settled on the lands in the Balkans, and, as previously mention with their egalitarian societies they were attractive to landless peasants and captured soldiers, as they were allowed to stay with them as free men, i actually like this theory of a small Slavic migration that absorbed and Slavicized the native population, as opposed to the massive invasion taught in most history books.

>I can't say which theory is more true but in the end, it doesn't really matter - whether our ancestors came to the lands we inhabited today or whether they mixed with the people living her before us, we are in both cases connected to this soil.

>connected to the soil

Of course, it has been over a thousand years since the Slavs arrived here, being native isn't a real claim in my opinion, since the dawn of history might makes right, if the Slavs conquered the Balkans by force that doesn't make Slavic claims illegitimate. Im from Macedonia a.k.a. Fyrom, and our claims are disputed by just about everyone, but the one i will never accept is the Albanian dispute, their claim is that they are natives here and we are Carpathian invaders, even if it were true it lends them no legitimacy since they lost, its ours now. Furthermore most cities in my country, even those with an overwhelming Albanian majority have slavic etymologies even in Albanian.
>>
>>3019354

The Turkic peoples brought them like flocks of sheep, nearly all the Slavs were Slaves populations.
>>
>>3019634
Is something wrong with your enter key?
>>
>>3019636

Nope.
>>
>>3019634
>nearly all the Slavs were Slaves populations.

This is so wrong
>>
>>3019636
He's a retarded phoneposter.
>>
There's even a theory that they were living in Europe way before the 6th century, were then pushed away by the incomming Francs, Germanic tribes, etc. and by the 6th century started claiming their land back.
Partly supportive of this theory could be the word Veneti used to describe them and it's (and of related terms) vast use all the way to the western coast of Europe.

The roots of the pre-Slavic culture lie something like 2000 BC (supported by archeology).
This is just me, but considering how at home we feel in the woods and on water, the theory that Slavs lived in marshlands is probably true (further supported by a large amount of words for bodies of water and forest plants and animals, while in the original language there was a severe lack of words for seacreatures and open land).

Basing it on DNA they probably originated somewhere around Ukraine, the Carphatian mountains, Kazachstan and North India.

It's a bit troublesome that even scientists can't find much of common ground. In a sense Slavs are the only European people left with sort of a mythical origin lol.

>>3019476
Yeah but it's not Czechs, Polish or Russians that look different. It's you who became different by mixing with Turks and other invaders over the centuries, while we stayed relatively pureblooded (50+% Slavic DNA as opposed to 15+% in the Balkans).

>>3019634
Biggest bullshit in the entire thread. By the time Slavs were building great empires, Turks were still crawling in mud.
>>
>>3019777
>Biggest bullshit in the entire thread. By the time Slavs were building great empires, Turks were still crawling in mud.
Who are the Huns, Avars, Bulgars, and Magyars? You will always be full of shite.
>>
>>3019777
Slavs came from Persia? Or were they indegenous
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.