[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/HIS/ I NEED YOUR HELP!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: kkk.jpg (139KB, 800x579px) Image search: [Google]
kkk.jpg
139KB, 800x579px
Ok, i have a exam on the following 2 questions in a few hours.

1. How the recruitment of the British army changed after 1900

2.The use of artillery by Britain 1700-1800

Yes i'm britbong but any help would be appreciated <3
>>
1. They reluctantly allowed the Irish into the army
2. Artillery was the bread and butter of the army, replacing actual tactics and strategy. It was decided that any and all battles could be won primarily through the use of artillery.
Fun fact: during the first world war, due to a metal shortage, and taking advantage of the recently recruited Irish, the army substituted Irishmen for traditional artillery shells, firing them behind enemy lines and into enemy trenches for the purpose of infiltration. It was called Operation Cannon O'Bannon
>>
>>3009774
is it 1900 or the 19th century?

because a major change during WW1 saw the first time the UK used a conscription based military to fight in large scale war.
see WW1 and the british offensive against the Germans in the western front.

the only thing that I could think of in 1900 would be that the British army took on a volunteer based recruitment from allied colonies in the Empire to fight in the second Boer War.
see boer war and the post kaki election conflicts with Boer comandos and gorellia warfare against britain. looking up british volunteer recruitment and boer war might help too
>>
>>3009864
>>3009774

also 2. isnt a question. its simply just stating the use of artillery.

did you mean how did the use of artillery change during 1700-1800?
>>
File: Allies must be destroyed.png (435KB, 555x802px) Image search: [Google]
Allies must be destroyed.png
435KB, 555x802px
You'll want to look at the Boer war and afterwards with the Haldane Reforms which effectively made the British Army a small and fully professional elite force for overseas fighting called the BEF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldane_Reforms
Then you'll want to look at how it changed in ww1 with the three phases:
1st phase is the BEF mentioned above
2nd are the Voulteers of Pals battalions who appear in the early to middle part of the war
3rd is the conscript army of the middle to late war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_during_World_War_I
>>
>>3009798
This is entirely incorrect, a large part of the army was Irish. A case I can cite offhand is the 78th, a highland regiment : they suffered 50% dead on a long deployment to India and when they returned the replacements weren't readily available in the now depleted highlands, so they just got Irishmen.

To answer you OP, the old British army was essentially a mercenary force, at least among the enlisted men (the history of British officers is an entirely different quagmire). During quiet periods they could be more selective but pretty generally anyone with two hands and a tooth was accepted, because most people didn't want to be a Redcoat. This all started to change with the Boer war and especially 1914, when the British army changed from being almost a private outfit to ensure British economic interests to being a "people's army" in a sense.

Here's a great example of the feelings of most people on the British army :

' His mother wrote to him in horror: "You know you are the Great Hope of the Family...if you do not like Service you can do something else...there are plenty of things Steady Young Men can do when they can write and read as you can...(the Army) is a refuge for all idle people...I shall name it to no one for I am ashamed to think of it... ******I would rather bury you than see you in a red coat.*****" '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Robertson,_1st_Baronet#Early_life

So you can see it went from being an ingnoble thing to something worthy of respect
>>
>>3010693
Anon his exam was five hours ago.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.