[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Druids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Tell me what you know.
>>
>>2997830
Buncha Celtic treehuggers.
>>
>>2997830
Painting done in the Glasgow School, currently housed in the Kelvingrove I believe.
>>
>>2997830

A class or possibly caste of priests of the Celtic faith, based in Britain but apparently active across the Celtic world. Reportedly, they were so greatly respected that they could walk between two opposing Celtic armies and forbid them from fighting, and both sides would respect the command. Of course, like everyone about the Celts, this is an apocryphal tale,and anyone who has read Celtic mythology will know they had a great love of bombast and exaggeration.

Apparently the Druids shunned writing altogether, despite its fairly widespread use by the Celts themselves. They instead relied on their memories, which were hugely developed via various mnemonic techniques a Druid would learn during their 13 year apprenticeship.
>>
>>2997916
Interesting. Did the Druids themselves owe allegiance to a tribe, or were they totally above politics.
>>
>>2997830
Religion was a valuable technology in that period of human history. Like any other culture, a priest caste emerged to act as a buffer/balance between celtic nobles and the military.

They also served as capsules,which through oral tradition preserved the culture and heritage of the celtic people. Imagine a world devoid of books, museums and historical information. They would have been the closest thing to all three while simultaneously acting as a spiritual guide for their tribe.

We don't know what they spoke about but it wouldn't be hard to imagine that they passed on stories of famous battles, tribal origins and tales of culture heroes in the form of legend and lore (in addition to being the spiritual figurehead of their villages).
>>
We don't have much on Druidism. Barry Cunliffe has an archeological/historical account based book on it, although it isn't long. There's something like only three sources on Druidism from it's time. Their taboo on writing infiltrated their society so we don't have much writing on Celts at all.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.