[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can anyone justify the Irish war for independence? Irish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1481810959433.jpg (91KB, 736x502px) Image search: [Google]
1481810959433.jpg
91KB, 736x502px
How can anyone justify the Irish war for independence?

Irish always voted overwhelmingly for the Irish parliamentary at the election and thus was a manifesto for home-rule. Find me some evidence of widely supported political republican party?
90% of irish seats were won by Irish Parliamentary, they were pro-empire and pro-union in 1914 and then two years later 2000 men do a rebellion, evidently against Ireland's democratic wish.

Sinn Féin only became a thing in 1920, and even then the Unionist vote (Ulster+Irish Parliamentary) was larger than SF's vote by roughly 2%

How was the War of Independence justified? Seems very opportunistic for a cause nobody wanted.
>>
>>2994471
Well, the easter uprising may have been unjustified, but the land slide victory of sein fein in 1918, and the rather excessive crackdown of the easter uprising, plus the large history of British ineptitude in administrating the ireland (The great famine).

Vote share in fptp systems is politically irrelevant, not only that, but taking 2 different political parties and bunching them up in order to artifically pump up the "unionist vote share" is rather dishonest, they were different parties for a reason.
>>
>>2994487
>stage a shit rebellion that nobody wants that fails and causes misery and harm to innocents
>british punish you for it
>people get mad about this punishment and vote anti-britain

So you're telling me they wanted to be in the UK and only left after a bout of terrorism was punished harshly?
>>
File: James_Connolly.jpg (276KB, 800x1224px) Image search: [Google]
James_Connolly.jpg
276KB, 800x1224px
When the British started executing everyone even partly involved in Sinn Fein over the Easter Rising they sort of pissed off the general population
>>
>>2994509
>>2994509
So I'm right in saying that the rebels were wrong from the get go and just got lucky that Britain actually cracked down on them so that people supported their retarded cause?

Remember that Collins was a part of the rising, he took advantage of the situation for his own goals. Ireland wanted to be british.
>>
>>2994517
Home Rulers wanted a devolved association with the British Empire like modern day India and Canada, but Lloyd George wouldn't play ball
>>
>>2994521
But they were still pro-union and this pro-empire.

There was more people in Ireland in favour of the union than there were against it.
>>
>>2994471

They wanted some Irexit
>>
>>2995161
>But they were still pro-union
Not true, that wanted Home Rule, which was suspended until the war ended
>pro-empire.
That might be true until they started shooting innocent people, but it wasn't after that, I really don't know what you're trying to argue here
>>
>>2995188
Home rule is pro-union, it's just also with devolved government. They still wanted to be part of the Empire.

They only started shooting "innocent" people after a rebellion happened which was based upon an idea nobody wanted.

Irish freedom from Britain is something most Irish people didn't want, full stop. Then when Britain crack down on someone stabbing them in the back at a time of great fragility in Europe, propaganda spinners used this to convince people they wanted to be "free" and thus lead to even more bloodshed.
>>
>>2995202
You're historically ignorant, Home Rule was seen as the non-violent approach and most Irish opposed the Easter Rising until tertiary people who had nothing to do with it started getting gallowed, what a surprise that would harden resistance. Then the British did such a great PR storm they sent really fucked up PTSD veterans to quell that unrest and they did shit like burn Cork and then wear cork in their hats to prove they did so even when the British press was denying it. Hell it's almost like they made their own bed. Also the treaty was bullshit, the British population had no stomach and Lloyd George knew it but Griffith was a faggot pussy cunt
>>
>>2994471
Revolutions are just as often populist as they are not. Only about 1/3rd of the colonies actively supported the American revolution. Democracy and the notion of democratic rule in a stratified society is a joke, anyways.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.