[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the ancient romans shave? Why was being clean shaven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3230.jpg (49KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3230.jpg
49KB, 430x600px
How did the ancient romans shave? Why was being clean shaven considered manly to them?
>>
>>2993084
being clean shaven was civilized
>>
>>2993084
Beards were barbaric, only Germans and Greek philisophers (ancient NEETS) wore such things
>>
>>2993084
>How did the ancient romans shave
They had razors i imagine
>>
>>2993092
>>2993096

What the fuck? Being a neckbeard was a sign of high fashion.
>>
>>2993103
nice try nero
>>
>>2993084
It wasn't about manliness, it was cleanliness and to be civilized. Doesn't barbarian mean the bearded or something? I think it was mostly a fashion trend started by Alexander and cemented by Augustus though.
>>
>>2993133
>Doesn't barbarian mean the bearded or something?
Bearded = barbatus
Barbarian = Greek onomatopoeia for unintelligible babbling
>>
>>2993103
Beards didn't come back in until the Imperial era.
>>
>>2993133
Augustus was clean shaven, Nero had a beard but Hadrian brought it into fashion
>>
>>2993133
This. Alexander had his troops shaved so that their enemies could not grab their beards in close combat. Sounds weird, but the practice became a fashion and most Romans were sufficiently fangirlish about the Greeks that they emulated the look.
>>
>>2993103
Fuck off nero
>>
>>2993084
If I remember my old Latin teacher correctly, the Romans would use a sort of pumice stone along with water to shave.
>>
>>2993238
That sounds really painful, arduous and time consuming
>>
>OP doesn't know who the emperor Hadrian is
>>
>>2993252
Hadrian represented a step away from the clean shaven tradition of the past, and beardlessness returned after the crisis of the third century
>>
obsidian?
>>
>>2993261
>>2993147
Yeah I think Hadrian, Septime Severus and Marcus Aurelius brought it back because of the Greek influence as a "Beard of the philosopher" or something
>>
>>2993084
My ancestor :)
>>
>>2993103
no, no, no no. literally a sign of terrible degeneration
>>
>>2993134
this is right, I'm pretty sure the Greeks used the word for anyone who couldn't speak Greek
>>
>>2993084
This article I can't even paste here from the blogspot of Calvus Guy implies that they used steel and iron razors, and you can find some on google

>>2993538
It also says that Hadrian wore his beard because of bad acne scars

Not sure if the article is reliable though
>>
File: Roman-Iron-Razor.png (75KB, 323x363px) Image search: [Google]
Roman-Iron-Razor.png
75KB, 323x363px
At least in the city of Rome the streets were filled with barber's shops. You wouldn't shave yourself. The tools were very blunt and you wouldn't avoid scarring in the crowder streets.
>>
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Barba.html

It refers also to ointments, there's a traditional way to make a wax with honey and lemon.
>>
>>2993084
Early Christians often saw it as shameful and vain, similar to how they saw makeup on women. Clement of Alexandria finds it particularly disgusting, and went so far as extolling barbarians for not engaging in such degeneracy. To this day Orthodox monks and bishops are forbidden from shaving. Many bishops also demand the same from their priests.
>>
>>2993248
Not so much painful, and time consuming is the point, only civilized men can afford to do so.
>>
File: 1476747417002.png (353KB, 1333x553px)
1476747417002.png
353KB, 1333x553px
>>2993541
>My ancestor
>says the snownigger
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.