[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is working a human characteristic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1497580065723.png (32KB, 538x343px) Image search: [Google]
1497580065723.png
32KB, 538x343px
>have lots of free time
>browse the internet
>watch tv series
>watch movies
>watch anime
>play vidya
>feel useless and terrible
>spiral into depression
>notice my apartment is a little dirty
>vacuum clean for 20 mins
>feel good while doing it
>finish vacuuming
>feel terrible

Why do we feel terrible when we don't work or something?
Is working in our nature?
>>
>>2982019
We need a purpose/ goal in life in order to live, even if the goal is only short term.

The human brain can't cope with pure hedonism.
>>
You know animals work too, right?
>>
>>2982545
>The human brain can't cope with pure hedonism.

But you realize that they are working to feel joy as OP said or don´t you?
>>
File: 1497559767806.jpg (239KB, 1024x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1497559767806.jpg
239KB, 1024x1001px
Because we evolved having to constantly fight to survive. This brave new world isnt what we were built for.
>>
>>2982019
>>have lots of free time
>>browse the internet
>>watch tv series
>>watch movies
>>watch anime
>>play vidya
>>feel useless and terrible
>>spiral into depression
>>notice my apartment is a little dirty

Because during this phase your brain is going non-stop and you have little to no control over what your brain is tracking. Obviously when you are working your are thinking only about the job at hand.

In short, https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/cognitive-behaviour-therapy
>>
File: suit.jpg (374KB, 1195x1600px) Image search: [Google]
suit.jpg
374KB, 1195x1600px
>>2982019
This video might explain some of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o

But yeah, basically humans have evolved with the expectation of work, it feels wrong to not be working even though work is something we try to avoid. Which is why ironically all these people pushing for a post-automation "utopia" are gonna end up with a population of depressed NEETs who do nothing to better themselves with all their free time.
>>
>>2984132
I believe those who are pushing that idea aren't hoping for lying in bed all day, but rather that there will be no pressure to work simply to survive, and people could do whatever they like.
>>
>>2982019
I don't know man. Working most of my time just feels unfulfilling. I feel great when I clean my room or complete a project too but I don't get the same feeling at work. I just want to get my day over with and go home.
>>
>>2982575
>>2982545

Happiness ≠ Pleasure, we're talking of eudemonism here too and not only hedonism.

I'd say for my part that it depends on people. North-european people are way less eudemonistic and hedonistic than southern Europeans or subsaharians for example.

But mostly, leasure-based life is a modern and urban thing, it is in total inadequacy with a life synced with nature cycles.
>>
File: yellow.jpg (103KB, 700x711px) Image search: [Google]
yellow.jpg
103KB, 700x711px
>>2984143
>ut rather that there will be no pressure to work simply to survive, and people could do whatever they like
I know. But people are inclined towards sloth and laziness, if you give them the choice on whether to work or not 90% of them will choose not to, and they certainly aren't going to be happier for it.
>>
>>2984158
>people like to work
>people are inclined towards laziness

which one is it then?
>>
File: da.jpg (840KB, 1809x2200px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
840KB, 1809x2200px
>>2984169
Both. It's kind of like the video in >>2984132 said, we don't want to do the things that make us happier. Exercise has been shown to improve health and happiness, yet people don't want to do it because the reward of happiness and health is too far separated from the immediate pain of exercising, and humans are not absolutely rational creatures.
>>
How fucking dull must people to be to be able to get bored with their free time?
I work to feed myself and the cat, but I could fill up three lifetimes worth of fulfilling hobbies if I didn't need to work.
>>
>>2984152
>Happiness ≠ Pleasure, we're talking of eudemonism here too and not only hedonism.

Yeah, but eudemonism is moderate hedonism.
>tfw hedonism leads to gluttony and other too much and thus to bad health.
>tfw doing things in measures is better for the future than having pleasure right now.

The difference is not in seeking pleasure or happiness which are in abstracto the same, that is lust (not just in the sexual or theological meaning), but in seeking it right now or when the right time comes for it.
>>
>>2984152
>But mostly, leasure-based life is a modern and urban thing, it is in total inadequacy with a life synced with nature cycles.
The Greeks and Romans loved leisure and hated work, hence their comfort with slavery. They probably would have looked on the hours the average medical resident, high-profile investment banker, or trucker works with horror.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.