[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with classics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: colosseum.jpg (76KB, 476x312px) Image search: [Google]
colosseum.jpg
76KB, 476x312px
I have just finished a Philosophy, Politics and Ethics degree and have already started wanting to get back into studying. I thought i would study classics in my own time, but i have no clue where to start. Do i need to study the history of Ancient Greece before getting into the Roman Empire or not? Does anyone have any good entry level books, podcasts, online resources etc to help me get started? All tips and advice would be great
>>
Start with the Greeks and especially start with their mythology. You should read the Odyssey and Illiad and study the whole Trojan Cycle if you really want to understand their culture, especially since that story links to the mythological founding of Rome through the Aeneid. Then just focus on Athens and branch out since that was the main city-state in Greece.
>>
>>2978665
Herodotus.
Thucydides.

Keep in mind the former is mostly tall tales, but widely believed ones. Thucydides, on the other hand, is the first proper historian. Very insightful, yet easy to follow.
>>
>>2978665
Related, how much latin and greek do you have to know if you want to do a degree classics?
>>
>>2978665

/lit/ has Start with the Greeks as an unironic meme. They may have a sticky with recommendations.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.