[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Holy Roman Catholic Church = The Roman Empire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1485342232656.jpg (168KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1485342232656.jpg
168KB, 600x900px
Tell me if this is common knowledge and I'm just retarded for thinking I figured something out, but could the Roman Empire have transferred all of their power and opulence, ability to rule over mankind, into what became the Holy Roman Catholic Church? This seems like a no brainer for me as to what happened after the Fall of Rome, but what do you guys think?
>>
File: 1491796029300.png (331KB, 635x457px) Image search: [Google]
1491796029300.png
331KB, 635x457px
>>2968679
>>
Is being the heir to the Roman Empire the Western equivalent of the Mandate of Heaven?
>>
>>2968679
It's not that the Catholic church is a heir of the Roman empire.

It's simply the Catholic church is a remanent, a survivor, an element of the Roman empire that was not erased.

It's like if the USA is dismantled and replaced by new countries with new cultures. But they kept the wacky American Christian churches such as baptists, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, etc.
>>
No you are retarded and this makes no sense.
>>
Well yes, translatio imperii
>>
The RCC adopted a lot of the structure of the empire (diosceses and vicars, for example) and remained an important intellectual and social force in the time to come but it wasn't an empire
>>
>>2968679
Yes OP the Pope's official title "Pontifex Maximus" originally referred to Caesar and the ecclesiastical structure of the Roman church is based off the imperial Roman military. The fact that Latin was chosen as the liturgical language even though the Gospels were written in Greek is another big tip off.
>>
File: img.jpg (69KB, 630x458px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
69KB, 630x458px
>>2968679
More like the Mali empire.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.