[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Did the Harpsichord Become Unpopular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Harpsichord Player.jpg (68KB, 894x671px) Image search: [Google]
Harpsichord Player.jpg
68KB, 894x671px
Had the invention of the piano really captured the imaginations of people to such extent, that the harpsichord (and clavichord) was deemed obsolete? In the 1700s, the two coexisted for a time, but the piano eclipsed it in popularity towards the end of the century, and in the early 1800s, harpsichords largely ceased to be built. What exactly explains why the harpsichord lost so much of its popularity, besides the novelty of a new keyboard instrument? Couldn't there be more to this story than that?
>>
>>2967519
I listen to harpsichord music more than piano music. Gustav Leonhardt was very good. It's the only proper way to listen to Bach music.
>>
It had been in use for many centuries already. The harpsichord player can not vary in dynamics (hard or soft): everything is equally loud.
There was the clavichord which did have variable dynamics but the instrument was incredibly soft overall, softer than a lute.
The first pianos were called 'pianaforte' or 'fortepiano', i.e. 'soft and loud' because it had a paddle which shifted the keyboard slightly so less strings would be played.
Loud/soft was very important for the prevailing stile at that time: galant and empfindsamer stil. It became rather popular among Bach's children and spread also to places like Vienna so Mozart could learn it. He actually also still played spinet/clavichord if I remember correctly.
>>
JS Bach was probably a freemason in the last few years of his life, or at least was in contact with many of them. Definitely CPE was and he introduced him to some fellows. Mozart was a freemason too.
Perhaps the instrument spread within these circles first since Bach endorsed and supervised the development of the instrument. The first time that builder, I forgot his name but it's something like Christofori, came to him with a 'pianeforte', Bach wasn't pleased yet. Only some years later when working at the court did he approve of its developed new state.

Bach also owned two 'lautenwercken' which are believed to have been harpsichords with the body of a lute and gut strings, so it would sound similar to a lute.
>>
Thirdly, the harpsichord family instruments were only owned by the very richest of society. Most people only had lutes. It's just that we have a lot of music for it since these bourgeois girls could not properly improvise so they had to learn little songs composed by lowly musicians.
I think it's really also the novelty of the instrument that made it so popular. Especially since mass production was less than a hundred years away and more and more people joined the middle class.
>>
>>2967519
IIRC the harpsichord was invented before the piano, and the piano made the harpsichord obsolete because the piano is a lot more varied instrument than the harpsichord in terms of the sounds you can make
>>
>>2967612
wow that's why it's called a piano, you just blew my mind
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.