[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Against Rhetoric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: incorrect tactics.jpg (80KB, 770x537px) Image search: [Google]
incorrect tactics.jpg
80KB, 770x537px
Rhetoric is wrong. The fact that rhetoric is a discipline and an area of study and inquiry which has its particular effects upon human beings, is itself a discredit to humanity in general.

What is rhetoric? An art and discipline of constructing and framing arguments in such a way as to persuade other human beings, /which in addition to the facts, obliges itself toward compelling and tugging emotional appeals/. And this itself is exactly rhetoric's failure - its anthropocentrism, the need of emotion together with reason.

Rhetoric /shouldn't/ work, in the sense that human beings /shouldn't/ be the way that they are-emotional, and positively requiring emotion for judgment (which is well documented and which, quite the opposite of denying, we agree with and amplify). This undercuts all possible rebuttals to the appeal how human beings actually /are/ at present. We are discussing instead an ideal - the cessation of emotion, which would be a blessed circumstance.

We should instead be soulless autistic input-output beast-units without qualia, without feelings, again at home among the insects, or gods maybe. "oh, fact, okay, action A, else action B etc). But above all no emotion. This is the correct rejection of rhetoric.

The normative and prescriptive statements in the above are totally excused by the regrettable humanity of the author and the audience. Nothing is to be gained by an opponent by trying and failing to point out this "hole".
>>
File: 1385920687498.png (89KB, 210x339px) Image search: [Google]
1385920687498.png
89KB, 210x339px
>We should instead be soulless autistic input-output beast-units without qualia, without feelings, again at home among the insects, or gods maybe

Jesus, anon
>>
>>2966896
This is why we need AI and machine learning to supplant primitive human emotional thinking.
>>
>>2966896

I like this.
>>
I know a video that's just appropriate to this topic. Let me find it
>>
>>2966931
nice strawman, perfect example of why OP is a faggot
>>
>>2966939
Here it is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_z3pe_OSZrQ
>>
>>2966896
Not an argument.
>>
>>2966896
Go to bed, Surak.
>>
As a moral realist, I find this retarded.
>>
>>2966968
you're retarded
>>
>>2966896
Rhetoric, pr, advertising, marketing , social control

The best weapon against these are awareness.

You dont need to cut off emotion, you need to be mindful of emotions, and what makes you feel that way. You dont nessicarily need cut off emotion entirely.

Kung fu, karate, firearms training ,self help books, life coaches these are all supposed to be defenses against our bad habits.
We need to teach people and give them the tools to let them maintain awareness on how others are trying to ibfluence their will.
>>
File: 1482703233454.jpg (113KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1482703233454.jpg
113KB, 396x385px
>>2966896
>Rhetoric /shouldn't/ work, in the sense that human beings /shouldn't/ be the way that they are-emotional, and positively requiring emotion for judgment (which is well documented and which, quite the opposite of denying, we agree with and amplify). This undercuts all possible rebuttals to the appeal how human beings actually /are/ at present. We are discussing instead an ideal - the cessation of emotion, which would be a blessed circumstance.

this is what betas think. keep your resentment to your self beta cuck, stay mad.
>>
>>2966896
Rhetoric doesnt work on poeple trained in rhetoric, therefore the only ones duped by it are thouse who are ignorant of it, and if someone is ignorant of something that you are cognizant of, thats called an "advantage" and in life a man needs as many advantages as he can get.

The only ones who would be against it this vociferously are those who've been duped by it. Tell me, did someone sell you some "oceanfront" property in Arizona? "Dirt cheap"?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.