[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal detecting in England - East Anglia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: detector.jpg (56KB, 630x447px) Image search: [Google]
detector.jpg
56KB, 630x447px
Hey guys! All questions online are over a decade old it seems, but I'm curious if anyone knows about detecting in England. I never found anything in the states, but now that I'm stationed here I'm seeing all these cool, cheap 15th century coins in shops.

How do I do this legally? Just find a farmer outside and ask politely? Could also offer to help on the farm for a bit? I imagine the beach is gone? I'm very tempted to go to a river on the Norfolk/Suffolk border near the coast with a Roman fort. It's listen on the Queen's estate, which can technically be detected on, but I'm 200% positive police would stop me if the see me from a Roman fort.

Primarily interested in WW2 stuff and coins. I've already got something lined up to find military leftovers, I know a friend who has property on an old USSAF base.
>>
>tfw the staffordshire hoard was discovered by an amateur metal detector
>>
>>2966227
I tried to detect for a while in Georgia but couldn't find a thing. People there are a lot more protective of their property and there's a lot less history. Just looking at a map of the crown estate areas though, I see a split in the river on the old county border right near the coast. Looks like a lot of farmland now but imagine it could've been a city.

I just feel really weird asking a random farmer if I can dig on his field. Would feel much better if I saw him on a tractor, which is what I'll probably look for.
>>
>>2966217
I used to go detecting with my dad in and around the Iron Age and Roman forts of South Oxfordshire and most farmers are cool if you ask them first. Tho if you find any treasures (gold ect) they legally belong to the Queen. Oh and also get an OS map of the area so you can mark were you find stuff.
>>
>>2967301
This, make sure you give the Queen her stuff back
>>
https://finds.org.uk/

http://www.thedetectorist.co.uk/metal-detecting/
>>
Detectorists is such a comfy show.
>>
File: IMG_0802.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0802.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I'm actually about to go out metal detecting g today (Scotland). Legally if you find something of archeological or historical value you must report it and the treasure trove unit will refer it to a 3rd party for appraisal and pay you that. Most people go for it. That queen stuff only comes up when people don't play ball.

I'm relatively new to the hobby so I've never sought permission yet. I just go out to the country side and detect where I know there was Pictish, medieval, roman or Viking activity and hope for the best.

Coolest thing I've found yet in pic.
>>
What's your guys' greatest find? I just bought a cheap detector, and actually heard that there's no real difference between cheap and expensive really.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.