[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does Norse mythology stack up against other mythologies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Mjölner.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Mjölner.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
Redpill me on Norse mythology /his/.
Is it really just a collection of shallow adventure stories told around campfires or does it contain the same level of depth and sophistication as the egyptian and greek mythologies?
>>
it's more quirky, like you got a whole saga with thor and loki dressing up like women and shit. I doubt the norse were very religious, just used it as a guideline but knew shit was ridiculous, quite unlike the neopagans
>>
Hard to tell really, most of what we know about it was written centuries afterwards by Christians. The best indication is the cultural elements that remained after Christian domination.
>>
>>2965419
wasn't snorri actually a pagan, I remember reading something like that, might have been bullshit of course
>>
>>2965430
Snorri was a Christian. The Prose Edda is his work. The Poetic Edda however was not authored by him and is older than his works. The Prose Edda also pretty consistent with what the Poetic Edda and other sources say.

Snorri is also notable for coming up with the hypothesis that the pre-Christian religion was based off of mortals being elevated to the status of godhood, a notion we now know to be completely false as Norse mythology is just a continuation of the Indo-European religion which coalesced a few thousand years before Snorri was born, but it's a neat notion.
>>
>>2965419
Not that I know many of the myths, but of the ones I know I feel like the ones that seem to be most interlinked with christianity seem to be the ones with more depth, like Odin hanging from Yggdrasil and obtaining the runes, by sacrificng himself and piercing his side with a spear just like christ, which undeniably has something do to with the overlap of the two religions.
>>
>>2965418
Make up your mind, are the neopagans just atheists who are LARPing for the heritage and the cool myths, or are they die hard true believers who are planning to sail to England and die in glorious battle? You can't have both, nigger.

>>2965411
It was just as well developed as any other Indo-European mythology, the Norse just didn't write their shit down on sources that survive to us to this day. There's plenty of Runestones left with Runic attestations on them, but those are pretty sparse on information. The two Eddas and a large number of Sagas exist to this day. Whether or not the Norse pagans wrote any of their stuff down is unknown. It's unlikely that they had any elaborate written tradition that was destroyed during Christianization, but writing (in Runic) wasn't rare at the time either so it'd be equally unlikely that in the thousand and a half years that Runic was in existence NO ONE thought of writing down more than "Thorgrim Bearstone died here" on something other than a big rock. If they did, we don't know about it.

One would assume the Continental Germanics would have written more down due to Roman influence. The Fall of Rome, migrations, and general decay would certainly take a toll on any work left to us in this regard, not to mention Christians were keen on destroying Pagan texts from the very onset. In any event, nothing of the sort survives, although Tacitus paints a portrait of the Continental and Norse myths being quite similar.
>>
>>2965471
did I ever claim they were both?
>>
>>2965411

>how does it stack up against

they dont stack against, OP
>>
>>2965411
Everything that isn't Christian is equally wrong bro
>>
>>2965411
WE
>>
>>2965418
Maybe the Swedes were always faggots.
>>
>>2965411
Yes, but it was as different from them as they were from each other.

Greek mythology, when it came to Gods vs Titans, it looks more like new order toppling the old. Lot of heroes, most of which has godly ancestry (even Ulisses, whose, if I remember the generation right, grandfather was a son of Hermes, and were a thief).

Norse is more of Order/Civilisation/Aesir vs Chaos/Nature/Jotunn, with occasional Vanir, which seems to be mostly connected to more hunter-gatherer lifestyle compared to Aesir.
Loki is a Jotunn, son of Storm Giant Farbautei (lightning) and Giantess Laufei (which was about some tree). Loki were related to fire, but tamed one, used by civilisation, in contrast to Sons of Muspell from Muspelheim, realm of Fire Giants, ruled by Surtr (whose burning of world is like a mix of wildfire and lava pouring from a volcano).

There's a lot of depth to Norse mythology, but it's harder to properly interpret it without looking at it from perspective of what kind of people they were, their society and role of men and women, or possible changes in some myths over time (I remember one mention that in earlier version Hod was feeling hatred towards Baldr for taking as his wife woman that was promised to Hod, making his participation in Baldr's murder slightly different than a blind brother manipulated by Loki).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.