[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tyranny of the majority >mob rule

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1476011325213.jpg (75KB, 926x556px) Image search: [Google]
1476011325213.jpg
75KB, 926x556px
>tyranny of the majority
>mob rule
>>
>>2965355
WHAT?
>>
File: 14894616864.jpg (25KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
14894616864.jpg
25KB, 480x270px
>>2965355
Good thread OP.
>>
>>2965355
WHAT'S YOUR FUCKING POINT?
>>
File: 1398241917797.jpg (155KB, 1278x715px) Image search: [Google]
1398241917797.jpg
155KB, 1278x715px
>>2965415
That picture was meant to express my surprise and disbelief at the fact that such concepts exist. Sorry if it wasn't enough. Perhaps this one works better?

It's literally just derogatory name for democracy applied by the losing side.
>>
File: reaction, fuck you.jpg (8KB, 250x246px) Image search: [Google]
reaction, fuck you.jpg
8KB, 250x246px
>>
>>2965425
There has never been a successful direct democracy, direct democracy, and it's many failures of administration and lack of truely enforceble law are why people will equate actions in successful representative democracies to the failure of direct democracy.
You're an idiot.
>>
>>2966066
Athens was a direct democracy and it was only destroyed due to external force from Spartans/Persians

I mean you have the Socrates guys doing some autistic screeching but other than that it seemed to function very well.
>>
>>2966996
Modern direct democracy implies full suffrage.

If only the preeminent and representative of your society are voting, then it's closer to some sort of relative oligarchy, no?

According to http://www.ushistory.org/civ/5b.asp, only 20% of people living in Athens were eligible to vote.
>>
>>2966996
Athens were a colossal shithole and only like 10% of population actually had a right to vote.
>>
>>2967024
>>2967032
wow it's getting smaller

only people that didn't vote were

>people from other poli
which shouldn't even be included

>slaves
they aren't even counted as human

>children
no child is allowed to vote in any democracy

>women
probably should've been included but ancient world is ancient world
>>
>>2967046
>women should've been included
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2967051
hush honey adults are talking
>>
>>2967046
>18
>not a child
>>
>>2967064
If it was up to me I would just make a universal adult age being 20

20 to army
20 to vote
20 to marry
20 to complete high school
20 to consent
20 to drink alcohol

but it's not up to me (fortunately) and for those it is up to 18 = adult
>>
>>2967046
I realize.
Probably should've included this in my own post. Didn't intend to mislead by just writing 20%.

>foreigners, slaves & children
naturally

The question is about functional direct democracy anyway, right? We should be looking at examples of countries where referendums work well at the local level, then ask ourselves if the same could be done at the national level in a larger and more geopolitically politically significant country than, say, Switzerland.
>>
>>2967076
I did not feel like an adult until my mid twenties.

18 is far too immature
>>
>>2967283
they figured that you already know how to read, write, and math and even (presumably) gave you a skill to pursue

all that's left is experience, and you won't get that by continuing to be treated like a kid
>>
>>2965355
>"I have a dream. You and your two friends, Rosseau and Montesquieu go to my room. Then I ask you to leave while they talk with me about why the people's will is all that matter."

Fucking frenchess
>>
File: Cursed_eb1cda_6273587.jpg (58KB, 463x584px) Image search: [Google]
Cursed_eb1cda_6273587.jpg
58KB, 463x584px
>>2966066
Its childish to think that because something hasn't happened, it means that it cant happen or it shouldn't.

The problem with letting the majority rule was noted all the way back in ancient Greece. The proposed solution was that by increasing education and reducing inequality, we can have a direct democracy of able citizens.

This hasn't been tried before, but we can gradually move towards that ideal and its certainly not impossible, that's how history and humanity progresses, only the wealthy and the angry/unhappy will have you think otherwise.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.