[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is English the best language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: beowulf_williamson_beowulf_text.jpg (708KB, 576x971px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf_williamson_beowulf_text.jpg
708KB, 576x971px
It is an amalgamation of Germanic and Romance languages, with sprinklings of Semitic, Oriental, Slavic, and other languages. Its pronunciation is independent of its spelling. It has perhaps the richest vocabulary of any language.

Is it not the ultimate language?
>>
>>2961982
There was some anon that showed an article regarding to information density in languages and english was "the winner"
>>
>>2961982
English is almost made up of languages, give one original English word.
>>
File: anglo.png (402KB, 807x547px) Image search: [Google]
anglo.png
402KB, 807x547px
>>2961982
Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be the lingua franca.
>>
>>2961982
>Its pronunciation is independent of its spelling.
That's a bug, not a feature.
>It has perhaps the richest vocabulary of any language.
Meme.
>Is it not the ultimate language?
Butt-fucking retarded concept.

Saged.
>>
Actually, that would be Greek. Nobody really knows anglo saxon well enough to come up with new compound words. So all our new words are borrowed from other languages. It's a dead language, basically. But Greek on the other hand is so versatile, we still use it for scientific terminology, because you just add a bunch of words together, and anyone who speaks greek will understand what you just said, even if the word was never spoken prior to this.
>>
English is so much more flexible than other languages. Huge vocabulary that allows for a lot of nuance.

Unfortunately it is kind of ugly language, and lacks musicality, like the English people in general.
>>
>>2962068
>English people
>lacking musicality
This is such an absurd statement that it barely merits acknowledgment, let alone refutation.
>>
Pronunciation followed the spelling more before the great vowel shift. Pronunciation could probably be forced into greater resemblance of other languages particularly the Romance ones with a few slight changes to suffixes.
-e and -y at the end of Latin and Greek loans could be replaced by -i resembling -ia endings. There doesn't seem to be much difference between -ance/-ence and -ancy/-ency.

-ty could be replaced by -ta bringing it more in line with -ita(s), -dad, -ità, -ité etc.
-y an -ly endings could still be preserved for adjectives.

Perhaps the shift in pronunciation that did occur in some ways resembles what happened in Orwell's newspeak and might have dissociated the people from their linguistic heritage.
That isn't to say a lot of Latin loans look aren't more obscure than equivalent Germanic constructs.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-y#English
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ty
>>
>>2962068

english doesnt have flexible word order

John killed Paul
Paul killed John

mean different things.

the spelling of English, and the fact that You is used for singular and plural, are defects. (these two problems could be solved easily)

It's a pretty good language, I agree. and very efficient.

>>2962008
thats because English is very monosyllabic
>>
>>2962072

Then where are all the great English composers and great English language opera?
>>
>>2962195
you were right before rock. Before the 60s the greatest English musician was a German (Haendel), but Brits redeemed themselved with Rock music.
>>
>>2962247
True. Unless you really like Gilbert and Sullivan, I suppose.
Brits really dominated starting in the 60s. Most of the great hard rock bands, then early metal... then in the 90s, some of the most influential pop electronic music.
>>
>>2962032
English
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.