[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the Schlieffen plan overrated ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: schlieffen plan.jpg (13KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
schlieffen plan.jpg
13KB, 255x198px
Was the Schlieffen plan overrated ? Why ?
Was the battle of the Marne really a miracle or was it a planned strategy by the French high command after the defeat in the battle of the frontiers ?
>>
>>2961596
Yes, it is overrated; primarily because every single German officer of the First World War could deflect blame of his own failings into "WE DIDNT FOLLOW DUH PLAN!"

It was absolutely insane, calling for moving horse towed artillery heavy armies at a speed that a mechanized one would struggle to attain, and having no backup provisions in case it didn't work. Moltke the younger saved the plan by eliminating the retarded "swing around all the way to approach Paris from the northwest" nonsense.

>Was the battle of the Marne really a miracle or was it a planned strategy by the French high command after the defeat in the battle of the frontiers ?
No, it was a lucky break they seized with both hands; the Germans didn't have to open a gap between their forces like that, and the French certainly weren't planning on it. But the idea that the Germans could keep advancing indefinitely is also impossible, and they were due for something snapping, given the overall levels of fatigue and lowering of operational strength as they advanced.
>>
>>2961596
Would've worked if Britain didn't join the war.
But the Schlieffen plan resulted in the cause of Britain's involvement as a prerequisite for success, via the invasion of Belgium
>>
>>2961596

If twentieth-century Germany had a tombstone, it would say "This is What Happens to Those Who Start Two-Front Wars."
>>
>>2961638
>Implying the BEF singlehandedly won at the battle of the marne, nice try anglo
Maybe France would have lost ( Probably, actually ), but if Britain stayed out of the war the result would have been the same, the germans over stretched their lines and the French took this opportunity
>>
>>2961659
Lost in the long run I meant
>>
>>2961659
Yeah I was kind of thinking a bit more long run
>>
>>2961596

>Was the Schlieffen plan overrated

Not nearly as overrated as Germany's useless surface fleet. Just imagine how many more submarines and tanks they could have built if they hadn't wasted it all on dreadnoughts.
>>
>>2961686
I don't think anyone these days thinks the building of the HSF was a good strategic move.
>>
>>2961660
>>2961659
They probably would have lost in the long run. Germany was beginning to develop better tactics and figuring out how to push through at the end of the war, but they were also starving. If the British blockade doesn't starve the Germans, then they probably win in the end.
You're right about the Schlieffen plan though. It probably would have hit a snag somewhere. It was before it's time in terms of mobility.
>>
File: Nowthatsedgy_77e681_6185129.jpg (60KB, 625x798px) Image search: [Google]
Nowthatsedgy_77e681_6185129.jpg
60KB, 625x798px
>>
>>2961659
Without Britain, Germany wouldn't be effectively blockaded and would't have had the food issues that brought it to it's knees.

Damn, now I'm depressed. Can you imagine how much better things would have been for literally everyone if Germany had won WW1?
>>
Everything German that wasn't made by Jews and Catholics is incredibly overrated

Everything
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.