[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to revive the Mayan writing system? Similar to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

Is it possible to revive the Mayan writing system? Similar to how jews did with hebrew in the 18th and 19th centuries.
>>
>>2961436
We've had this conversation 100 million times already.

The main issue that you'll be facing is that modern mayans literally do not give a single fuck.
>>
>>2961456
>We've had this conversation 100 million times already.
I'm not here everyday so I never saw it

>The main issue that you'll be facing is that modern mayans literally do not give a single fuck.
That's not a problem. You just need to get them interested, and the youth at least have a greater interest now in their culture so there is hope.
>>
>>2961461
>and the youth at least have a greater interest now in their culture

I'm not sure. The elderly can still speak the language, a lot of the younger ones don't.
>>
>>2961436
Only if you're willing to fund it.
>>
File: 1471324915784.jpg (422KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1471324915784.jpg
422KB, 1024x683px
>>2961436
I'm not entirely familiar with it but isn't it hieroglyph type writing? Doesn't seem like it would be efficient. Or do you mean using Spanish characters?
>>
>>2961461
The Latin alphabet (any alphabet really) is objectively better than the Maya script. Syllabaries/logographic systems are a lot more hassle than alphabets.
>>
File: 268_1.jpg (136KB, 900x641px) Image search: [Google]
268_1.jpg
136KB, 900x641px
>>2961508
Looks like shit though. The Japanese can do it I don't see why it's so much of a hassle.

>>2961501
It's basically like Japanese a combination of logograms with syllables.
>>
File: 267_1.jpg (132KB, 780x777px) Image search: [Google]
267_1.jpg
132KB, 780x777px
>>2961533
It's crudely drawn here by a friar but this is more or less what it looked like at the time of the Spanish arrival.
>>
File: ruins-uxmal.jpg (2MB, 3024x2022px) Image search: [Google]
ruins-uxmal.jpg
2MB, 3024x2022px
I would like to be able to read some monuments.
>>
>>2961533
>The Japanese can do it I don't see why it's so much of a hassle.

One nice thing I'll say about the Maya script is that it's better than the Japanese script.

"Herpaderp let's have two syllabaries AND a logographic system all in one!"
>>
File: 1496254898701.jpg (393KB, 1000x1592px) Image search: [Google]
1496254898701.jpg
393KB, 1000x1592px
>>2961533
It would be cool but that looks like a hassle to write. So you would be able to write any existing word using the Maya script?
>>
>>2961558
Yea, you could write your name in it too. Actually you technically have 3 types of names. Your spelled out name, your birth name based on the calendar or your family name like "son of .... ".
>>
>>2961533
>>2961538
It could be used for scholar porpuses. Have people who care learn it, I have nothing against that. The general population, however, that never learned to write that way isn't going to be fucked to un-learn the latin alphabet just to learn a niche alphabet that they can only use in the state of Yucatan.
>>
>>2961572
I would think Guatemala would be better suited. Only problem there is theres a shit ton of variations of Mayan, they'd have to pick one.
>>
>>2961582
>>2961572
>>2961436
You're average Mestizo and Amerindian can't even read or write Spanish. What makes you think they could learn mayan?
>>
>>2961582
I don't even think we fully understand the Mayan script to begin with. We'd need someone to try and reconstructed. Doubt it would be that accurate.

No international organization run by globalists would want to have central america speak an even more alien language. The local governments wouldn't want to split up their populations even further, and even if they did they are all the most corrupt people on earth and they can't spare money for big projects like that when they are just a few million away from that new fancy Yatch. And the final nail in the coffin is that most currently living Mayans feel little to no connection to this language. A language that is harder than Spanish, and would take a great deal of effort to learn and wouldn't be too useful in their lives.

My honest to god recommendation, as someone who does care about ancient cultures, and doesn't like to see them go extinct, is that if you are a college student, or even better a professor. Particularly around the area of Yucatan, or Guatemala like you've said. You start to gather people that care. Or join a currently on-going effort, and do what you can to save the language, be it studying it or trying to reconstruct it, so it can at least be used academically. But I very much doubt it will ever be used in any mainstream way again.
>>
>>2961548
the two syllabaries are very small though, and one is used almost exclusively for foreign words. and chinese characters are built from a relatively small set of primitives.

it's actually a pretty nice system. logograms are nice
>>
>>2961456
>The main issue that you'll be facing is that modern mayans literally do not give a single fuck.
they do
>>
>>2961436
It would be cool but honestly it would be way more of a hassle compared with the current system utilizing the latin alphabet with accents for accented vowels, apostrophes for glottal stops, etc.
>>
Idiotic.

Imagine having to learn how to write (well, draw actually) for years only so you could write "computer" with twenty little drawings of dragons, snakes and disembodied homosexual heads.
>>
File: image.jpg (418KB, 2284x1958px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418KB, 2284x1958px
>>
File: Ollamalitzli.jpg (429KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Ollamalitzli.jpg
429KB, 540x405px
Bump
>>
>>2961592
t. Paco

Latin american Spanish is THE Spanish now. Deal with it.
>>
>>2965555
quads don't lie
>>
>>2963660
The thing about Spanish is that nobody actually uses accents in vowels unless they are going out of their way to write properly or their phone autocorrects them.
>>
>>2965555
Castilian*
>>
>>2961436
The Hebrew alphabet and nikudim had been preserved, and the language was used in liturgy.
t. Jew
>>
>>2965705
My bad I was referring to the obvious advantage the Latin alphabet had in writing out the Maya languages "phonetically" vs using the glyphs again
>>
>>2963798
That's not how Mayan writing worked.
>>
>>2961533
>cuthulu was a turkey dog all along
>>
>>2961558
*piel amarilla
*en cara y cuello
*con tinte de cochinilla
>>
>>2965555
Latin american spanish is horribly polluted by US english influence
And jesus christ why can't you pronounce 'z' as something other than a fucking 's'? If you at least did it as an english 'z' I'd let it pass, but dude that shit was meant to be differentiated
>>
>>2968166
the spanish lisp is disgusting I'm glad latin americans were smart enough to drop it.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.