[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long life or glory, which is superior as a priority?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: Achilles Dilemma.png (30KB, 703x479px) Image search: [Google]
Achilles Dilemma.png
30KB, 703x479px
Long life or glory, which is superior as a priority?
>>
>>2959080
A lot of good glory does to you, you're dead, you don't feel anything anymore.
>>
>>2959080

Glory.

Life will be taken from you regardless
>>
>>2959143
this is the only correct answer.
>>
I don't particularly care about glory, all I want is a long, peaceful, quiet life.
>>
>>2959143
>>2959151
Achilles' Dilemma implies an afterlife to appreciate the impact your glory leaves. In which case the obvious choice is glory. For, life is impermanent, but glory is eternal. For the sake of the OP graph, anyway.

But if you don't believe in an afterlife, there's no reason to forfeit life to heighten the opinion of yourself in the eyes of others, as there's no you to benefit.
>>
>>2959186
This guy is onto something.
Pretty sure at the end of the odyssey Achillies says that being a legend in he'll is shit and he wish he had lived his life a peasant instead.
Ultimately one should try and live a life he personally deems worthy as I see no problem with a man living a simple life with a humble wife if he deems it a good way to spend his time on earth.
Glory for the sake of glory or to have someone remember your name is pointless as all things are fleeting and thus your name will be forgotten, living life that fulfils you both will let you die happy and if there is an afterlife, will let you look back and be proud even of it lacks in glory.
>>
They died, but not as lavish of their blood,
Or thinking death itself was simply good;
Their wishes neither were to live nor die,
But to do both alike commendably.
>>
>>2959080
>achieve minor glory, enough to establish a name and relative wealth, but not enough to overshadow my children and let them live their live (relatively) freely, expecting them to do the same, continualy working on the legacy, while not neglecting the family
>live long enough to see the my family prosper
>die soon enough not to be a burden
>>
he says himself that he would rather be a living slave than a king of the dead
so i think living longer was even a priority for him once he was dead
>>
File: muh middle ground.jpg (44KB, 703x479px) Image search: [Google]
muh middle ground.jpg
44KB, 703x479px
muh middle ground muhfugga
>>
>>2959559
The grass is always greener.
>>
Your time on this planet will only amount to an insignificant fraction of time. Even if you were to live 70 years longer than, say, Alexander the Great, who died at 33 years old, who do you think is going to be studied, analyzed, admired & referenced 5, 10, 100 & 1000 years from now: you or him?

Your reputation is everything. It will live on for centuries after your death if you're lucky. It's better to try to be an admirable success that will be referenced for centuries & die 75 years-a completely insignificant amount of time when looking at all pf history-before you naturally would, then live the extra decades & be forgotten after a generation.
>>
>>2960482
than*
>>
>>2959559

Sure but no matter how long you live, you'll be dead eventually. Then, all that remains is your name. Achilles made the right choice.
>>
I think if you have someone who needs you like a wife and child then a long life. If you don't have anyone like that then you become a legend among men, inspiring countless others to be like you.
>>
>>2959080
>giving a fuck what anyone thinks of you living or dead
>>
Achilles's name is alive thousands of years after his death, he lived longer life than any of us ever will
>>
>>2960566
>I think if you have someone who needs you like a wife and child then a long life.
The Buddha had those and pursued the latter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badMwEC1YEQ
>>
>>2959143

So what?

The fact that you'll lose something eventually shouldn't make you eager to lose it faster.

If you know your computer will be worthless in 10 years that shouldn't mean you trash the fucking thing right now.
>>
>>2961305
Then again, he was a wealthy prince so his family probably did fine.
>>
File: IMG_0600.jpg (110KB, 2048x1044px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0600.jpg
110KB, 2048x1044px
>>
Who the fuck gives a shit about being remembered by shit you don't give a fuck about

I want to be happy NOW together with the people I love NOW
>>
File: kino.png (673KB, 1365x727px) Image search: [Google]
kino.png
673KB, 1365x727px
If you achieve glory you'll live forever in others memories
I've really made a name for myself as a successful historian and expect to be remembered by the masses in 2117
>>
They aren't mutually exclusive. Some people live long and glorious lives.
>>
>>2961363

Probably not, the story of him being a prince who never saw evil until one day he did and it immediately transformed him is almost certainly mythic. Buddha was educated, but he was more likely a monk or priest than a prince.
>>
>>2959080
Why not both? Kirk Douglas is 100
>>
>>2962215

No-one will remember him in 3,000 years.
>>
>>2959143
>implying you will enjoy the post-morten glory you gain
>>
File: 1497595400789.png (37KB, 871x495px) Image search: [Google]
1497595400789.png
37KB, 871x495px
????
>>
>>2962246
>implying you will enjoy the postmortem non-glory

Dead is dead Anon, the only difference is the glorious live on in the hearts of men while the inglorious die and are forgotten.
>>
>>2962248
>HURR what if Achilles took the option he wasn't given?
>>
>>2962255
>what is free will and deciding your own destiny
>>
>>2959080

It's a false dilemma because plenty of people die young without achieving anything remotely approaching glory.
>>
>>2962232
How do you know? It would then seem the only way to get remembered for all time is to be a head of state or some conqueror (Achilles isn't real), or the absolute best at your creative field, like Beethoven or Einstein, but genius of that level is incredibly rare and will never ever be attained by 99.999% of the poulation (like you and me) even if they work at it every day of the rest of their lives. Why do you want to be remembered for 3000 years? What will you care when the sun burns out and the galaxy is cold? I say the poor peasant farmer who minded his land and his business and was a good neighbor is a far better person and more worth remembering than Adolf Hitler.
>>
File: his sticky.jpg (322KB, 1871x441px) Image search: [Google]
his sticky.jpg
322KB, 1871x441px
>>2959093
>>
>>2960482
why do you care, you'll be dead
>>
>>2962278
Fuck you!
>>
>>2962281
Why do you care how long you lived after you're dead, you won't be able to appreciate how long you lived? Yet the glory you accumulated will be heralded before generations.
>>
>>2962255
>portray the dilemma as a parabola, which is made of infinite amount of points (choices)
>only have the option of 2 of the points
If there's only 2 options, don't draw a line between them retard
>>
>>2962307
But I can enjoy my life now. It'll be gone eventually, but right here right now I can derive enjoyment from being alive. You can't derive enjoyment from glory, no matter how much you have, if you die.
>>
>>2962272

How do I know some two-bit actor won't be remembered for thousands of years? call it a hunch. As to "HURR WHO WOULD WANT IT??"-- spoken like a true worm. You'll certainly gain even the slightest bit of glory, so you pretend it's something not worth having, truly pathetic.
>>
>>2961437
I agree with this. From what is it?
>>
>>2959143

so eric harris did nothing wrong?
>>
>>2959080
Depends on the person.
Enough glory that you'll at least be remembered a generation or two beyond your death.
Enough life that you can die satisfied and fullfilled.
These should be the bare minimums everyone strives for.
>>
>>2962322
Not an argument.
By the way, how much glory are you gaining by posting on 4chan?
>>
>>2962322
He will certainly be remembered for far longer than you will be.
>>
>>2962261
What is Greek mythology
>>
File: yellow here.png (44KB, 393x369px) Image search: [Google]
yellow here.png
44KB, 393x369px
>>2959080
If one favors a high glory lifestyle, why do they then oppose child warriors?
>>
The average person does not know who Achilles is. The average person is far more familiar with Judge Judy.
>>
>neutralfags trying to have cake and eat it because they don't understand the Iliad or the word 'priority'
>>
Names will vanish one day no matter what, and desu, I don't see the appeal in having your name known long after you die and that's it.

I'd rather nurture a family, as my children can carry on my legacy much better than just the 6 letters that make up my name. I think there's a lot of happiness to be found in living a modest life.
>>
>>2959340
he basically meant being dead fucking sucks, especially since they cant even talk usually. in those myths the ghosts had to drink blood or something to get enough energy to do anything but stand around
>>
>>2959080
Such a bullshit chart. See Augustus and Hannibal lmao
>>
File: sad truth.png (32KB, 703x479px) Image search: [Google]
sad truth.png
32KB, 703x479px
sleep tight delightful archduke
>>
>>2962321
If you know you will live a glorious life, then you can derive enjoyment from the fact that your life will be praised for centuries while you are still alive.
>>
>>2959080
fake deaths
>>
File: Belisarius_mosaic.jpg (694KB, 1104x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Belisarius_mosaic.jpg
694KB, 1104x1160px
>>2961437
Reminds me of Belisarius and his achievements.
Go and get Rome back from all the bullshit and take care of all the surrounding shit happening.
Oh but we'll fuck you up the second we don't need you.

Thanks Justinian!
>>
>>2963512
You can't know that though. Franz Schubert is regarded as a genius today but in his own time he died destitute and alone, undoubtedly convinced no one would remember him. Alkan probably thought he'd be remembered forever but now almost no one knows him.
>>
>>2959080
Depends on what counts as glory. If i have something done that makes me a good role model then of course i want glory, but not to be superior over others, instead of that i want that others are similar to myself so they can be a role model too, but, as i said before, only if i am a good role model. But what a good role model is is controversial.
>>
File: bios_bartholomewroberts_flag.gif (14KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
bios_bartholomewroberts_flag.gif
14KB, 350x263px
>>2959080
A merry life and a short one.
>>
>>2963346
It's Achilles' personal dilemma, nitwit.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.